You might also like
- Deal Alert : Nokia Lumia 925 at 13% Discount + DC-16 Battery Pack Free [India]
- List of Apps & Games coming to Windows Phone & Asha
- Rayman Fiesta Run Availlable for Windows Phone; Brings Xbox Live to Party
- Weather Apps Round Up; The Best on Windows Phone
- Digitally Imported Radio Client Beem Plus free for Limited Time
Seems like I missed a lot when on Vacation because SMS Backup Tool for Windows Phone came out sometimes back and it works on couple of Windows Phone which is unlocked and possibly Interop Unlock. Check the list of Phones over which it is working and why not on others but as it gets working, we will keep you posted.
Features of SMS Backup
- Backup and Export to either Windows Phone Isolated storage mode or upload it to Skydrive.
- When exported to SkyDrive, it will create a folder named as SMS and upload files with unique name as of now date is being used but you can give your own name.
- Allows you to take backup of SMS in Threaded or Date format.
- You can choose between XML or TXT format.
- Supports CSV Format also.
- Restore SMS : Now it is possible to restore your SMS when you switch phone or deleted SMS or switching to a new rom. See how to with a video.
- Supports English and Chinese.
- Export Facebook Chat and MSN Friends Message.
- Download from here
How the Tool Works ?
Once you install the app, launch it and it will display all your SMS . You can browse the SMS using navigation tool there. To backup, click on Menu bar and select Backup and Export. You can backup either in isolated storage or Skydrive ( Highly Recommended ) and use the text format as it is more readable. XML format will be more usable only when restore option comes in.
Dont Want to use SkyDrive ? Use isolated Storage Tool
For users who do not want to use Skydrive as an option, I will suggest you to use this Windows Phone Manager Tool. Using this tool is simple, Install this tool and launch Zune and select Extract SMS from Device and you will get option to export individual SMS, Conversation or all in XML or Text Format.
A bit of history if you are interested so you understand why it does not work on your phone. Basically all the SMS on Windows Phone are backedup internally over a XML files known as CommsBackup.xml which is stored in isolated storage of Windows Phone. This tool basically copies that XML and extracts SMS from it and then exports. So now any Windows Phone which does not allow to work with that will restrict this app to extract SMS.
List of Windows Phone for which it is Working / Not Working
- Samsung Focus 1st generation : Works and I have the demo done using that.
- Samsung / LG / HTC Gen 1
- HTC generation two i.e. Titant and Radar, Dell, Nokia, and Toshiba/Fujitsu have issues with Interop Unlock.
[minigallery id="2604" style="box border box_white"]