You might also like
- Nokia Announces Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8
- Unofficial but Beautiful Nokia Conversation App for Windows Phone
- Official Update : Why Gun Props are going away from Xbox Avatar Picks
- Video : Xbox Smartglass Demo, It can sync game levels and positions between Phone, Tablets and PCs
- Turn your Windows Phone into Spycam ( Homebrew )
That time is not far when the demand of Unlocked Phone or completely unlocked phone will grow multiple folds with first Custom Rom being worked on and second, so many terrific apps developed that can take full advantage of Windows Phone OS capability.
Today we have the Lock Widget App from Windows Phone Hacker which allows you to customize the lock screen with widgets e.g. which are capable of displaying weather or a feed from URL,. Though I am pretty sure that this must get into the next version of Apollo, because Lock Screen of Windows 8 is already well done and the same should flow in to the Windows Phone future version.
So coming back to the Lock Widget App, with full permission, it can replace your lock screen with an instance of its own. So all you need is keep the app running and lock your phone. Now when you hit the lock button, you will see the app instead of the usual lock screen.
There are set of widgets already available in the app which are :
- Weather widget : Use your City Code or Name
- RSS widget : You need to add the feed url here. Hopefully in next version we might see auto feed discovery.
- Twitter widget to track anybody on twitter with option to how many tweets you can see.
- Memory widget to see the amount of memory that is getting consumed and number of process running.
- You can also choose to use the Bing Wallpaper or a picture from your Photo library to display as lock screen background.
Order of the Widgets Displayed on the lock screen can be changed, and if you do not need any particular widget, it can be easily removed.
Like I said the app needs to have root permission and unlocked to work properly, but if you don’t have a rooted phone, you can still use it normal app, just run it and you will get to see all the widgets working. The only Widget that does not work is Bing Wallpaper but choosing a picture from your library works nicely.
- Instead of just one picture support, the app might try to run a slideshow from an album. So it can change it after a couple of minutes or every time the phone is unlocked.
- The App can improve the UI to make it more Metroish.
- When editing or choosing a widget, if it can make use of the back button of Windows Phone, it will be easier for someone who wants to cancel it. Right now cancel button is missing for the widgets.
Download the file from this post of Windows Phone Hacker, look for a file name as lockwidgets.xap