When it comes to transferring files to Windows Phone from your PC, Windows Phone 8 OS doesn’t do really well when it comes to documents and zip files. Even though it is possible to get them via USB mode but if you really want to get go hands free — Transffr is what you should be looking at.
Now, there are tons of download manager or file downloaders available in Windows Phone marketplace but we picked this app because of it’s implementation.
How does it work ?
This app has a server counterpart which should be installed on your PC. Once done, you can drag n’ drop files and it will generate QR code for it. Next you need to use the inbuilt QR scanner and it makes sure that files are downloaded right inside the app.
- Zero Configuration: It is almost zero at this All you need is download the server setup from here, install the app on your phone and get started. It also works on Windows 8.
- Scan and Download: It uses native QR based scanning of Windows Phone to download the file on your phone.
- Background Download: The files start downloading instantly as you scan the QR Code. You don’t need to confirm, select where it goes, etc.
- Activity Manager gives you list of files in download queue. For smaller files you wont notice them appearing while bigger files can be seen. For large files, you need to turn on the option for “Big Files” before scanning. Also, you need to connect with your wall charger for download to start.
- Files once downloaded can be saved individually to your phone.
- Categorizes files into Images, Media and Files.
- You can cancel a download in progress but there is no option to pause.
- Live Tile displays the count of active downloads.
The app fails to handle files such as Office Files ( Word, Excel) and Zip Files. When you scan the QR code, it triggers the Browser to download the file and goes out of application’s scope. Files like mp4, Images and any other which aren’t supported on your phone get downloaded perfectly.
Even though the app is mainly designed for downloading files from PC, you can use it to download from anywhere on the Internet by scanning QR codes.The app costs 0.99 USD and comes with a fully functional trial (Ad Supported).