Microsoft recently announced that Xbox Live users will be able to use a custom gamerpic instead of using a random images they get from games. This feature has been enabled for everyone, and you can upload your own pic using Xbox Beta App which is available on all platforms. The option to upload from Xbox One directly is still in progress, and IMO, it is better to use the App than go through the long process on Xbox.
Here are the steps to upload custom picture :
- Install Xbox Beta App on your Phone or Laptop.
- Tap on your gamer profile to open detailed view.
- Once there, once again tap on the current picture.
- It will give you an option to Choose Custom Picture
- Pic one of the pictures from your PC.
- Adjust Zoom, alignment, and then upload.
- Microsoft will verify if the pic used are ok with the conductus of Xbox.
Note : If you are using an Xbox Avatar, you need to change it to profile picture first, and then follow the steps.
For me the review process was instant, and I did not have to restart the console or the app to see the changes. In case you do, you know the drill. Review process might or might not be same fo everybody. This is open to everybody, and not just Xbox Insiders, and even if you are just a PC gamer using Xbox Live, it works for you.
The option is not available on mobile apps.