Finally after a long wait we have a new build for those who are on Fast Ring on Windows 10 PC. Build 15002 brings a ton of update.
Microsoft Edge Updates
- Tab preview bar
- Organise open Tabs.
- Jump List for Microsoft Edge
- Flash Click-to-Run
- Web Payments
Apart from these new features, Microsoft has put in a bit of effort to improve the stability, and responsiveness of the browser. Many a time, I have seen Edge crashing for no reasons, and ask me to start fresh which is annoying. This update should make things better.
Next, lets take a look at the Web Payments. Microsoft announced Payment Request API which allows checkout much faster if you use Microsoft Wallet. The vendor will pickup rest of the details from your wallet, and get things done quicker.
Start and Shell Improvements
- Tile Folders in Start: This finally arrived, and lets you organise a list of similar tiles into a folder. More Space for all of us.
- New Windows Share experience: I am pretty sure we are going to love this new Share UI which is more app-focused, and integrated at lot many places.
Capture a region of your screen:
This is a huge update for those, like me, who take screenshots on daily basis. Now you can choose to take screenshot of part of screen using the hotkey Win + Shift + S. However it will be only copied into clipboard, and you will have to open an editing tool to paste, and finalise your screenshot.
Improved high-DPI support for desktop apps:
If your graphics all of a sudden starts looking better, say thanks to improved high-DPI support for desktop apps. This can also be enabled for other apps, but you will need to do it manually.
- Find the application’s .exe file, right-click on it, and select Properties. It’s for those apps which us GDI.
- Go to the Compatibility tab, and turn on System (Enhanced) DPI scaling, and click OK.
- Smooth Window Resize & Desktop Icon Placement and Scaling Improvements
- Simplified and faster VPN access.
- Improved sign-in dialog for apps for users with multiple accounts.
- Lunar Calendar support for the Taskbar.
- Improved notification experience for app developers and everyone.
Windows Ink Improvements
- Windows Ink pen, pencil and highlighter control to now visually indicate which color is selected.
- Point erase to the Windows Ink Workspace’s Sketchpad and Screen Sketch. This means that now you have the option of deleting your whole ink stroke or erasing only pieces of it.
- Windows Ink Workspace icon is now available on all the taskbar. Clicking it launches the Windows Ink Workspace on that monitor.
More Cortana improvements
- Apps supporting Cortana commands will show up under suggested commands as you type the app name in Cortana.
- A new option to set recurring time-based Cortana Reminders for “Every Month” or “Every Year”.
- The keyboard shortcut to invoke Cortana in listening mode is changing to WIN + C. However, this is be off by default. Headover to Cortana’s settings to enable it.
Cortana will be available during Setup Process of Windows 10 helping people who need accessibility during that time. This is still work in progress.
Braille support in Windows will start appearing from this builds, and you will find a new button that offers the ability to download support for braille via Settings > Ease of Access > Narrator. While this button is present, the feature doesn’t work yet so hold off on giving it a try for now. We’ll let you know in a future post when braille can be used.
Windows Defender Improvements
- New options to run quick, advanced, or full scans.
- Device performance and health scans give you a report on your PC’s health.
- Family options has visual improvements and links you to great content/applications on the web to set up a family or view device information.
- Settings pages to change configuration on the app or learn more about it
- General bug fixes and improvements.
Refresh Windows on-demand in Windows Defender.
Defender has new option which allows you to Refresh Windows when you want it. This is useful when your PC is slow, and crashing. Do note that this option starts fresh by reinstalling, and updating Windows. In simple words, all your personal files, and windows settings will be gone.
- App related settings are clubbed together.
- New device settings section now combines the bluetooth, and connected device page into one place.
- Display Settings page now offers options like lower blue light depending on the time of your sunset, and sunrise. Windows can show warmer colors to make it easier to sleep at night.
- Surface Dial settings: App developers have the option of providing custom tools for the Surface Dial when using it within their app.
- Windows Personalization now supports recent colors.
- Windows Theme Management in Settings is finally here. Manage all your themes from here.
- Improved Cross-Device Experiences Settings:Cross Device experience i.e. when you switch from one device to another running Windows, has a new setting where it allows you to enable it for everyone or just your device.
- Set as metered connection option to the Ethernet (LAN) connections in Settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet.
BSOD is now GSOD
For Insiders, you will now get Green Background instead of Blue when you get the screen of death.
More Options to Update your Windows 10.
- Pause updates on your computer for up to 35 days.
- Option that will now allow you to decide whether or not to include driver updates when you update Windows.