As we know, there are many settings available on Windows that help us to personalize and jazz up our computer according to our personality. You can change the wallpaper, themes, screen savers, etc. However, customizing Windows PC is not limited to wallpapers and themes; you can change the display settings too according to your needs. I recommend everyone to change the display settings of Windows 11/10 as per your eyesight or reading capabilities. It will help reduce strain on your eyes and have a better experience while sitting in front of your laptop or PC. Here are my recommended best Windows display settings.
Best Windows 11/10 Display Settings To Improve Reading & Viewing Experience
- Change the Size of Text, Icons, and Apps
- Tune the Text
- Color Calibration
- Night Light
- High DPI Scaling
Changing all of these is a personal choice. You will have to experiment to figure out what works best for you.
1] Change the Size of Text, Icons, and Apps
For a short-sighted or long-sighted person, reading the default-sized text and icons and surfing through apps would be difficult as HD display makes them look very small. To solve this problem, follow the Windows 11/10 scaling option. To change the size of text, icons, and apps, follow the below steps:
- Open Settings by typing in the Start Search Menu
- A new window will open. Find the Display option
- Look for the Scale and Layout option in the Display settings, where the percentage indicates the current size that Windows recommends. You can adjust the percentage to make the text, apps, and icons legible but also be able to screen real estate. After the adjustment, the display will be clear to you with high readability.
2] Tune the Text
Remember when you went for an eye check-up to a doctor and had to choose between better or worse for vision. It would ultimately help the doctor to provide the most accurate prescription. This setting does the same. To begin with, follow the below steps:
- Type ClearType Tuner in the Menu Search box and open it.
- It provides you with five examples of the text variants, and you can choose the design and type that looks the best and suits you. It would be easy to read and will be sharp in any variants. Choose the best one that will help you to read the text easily.
3] Time for Color Calibration
If you find the color calibration of your Windows 11/10 display too dull for your taste, then Windows 11/10 has an inbuilt tool for color calibration. You can find this tool somewhere in the dusty corner of the Control Panel. Let’s see how to find it and find the best color calibration setting.
- You can search color calibration, and Calibrate Colour Display will pop up in a Menu search box.
- Select it, and you will be introduced to an array of display tests. These are four different combinations of gamma, contrast, and brightness. And color balancing. You will be shown a preview for each combination to test the image and decide upon what is showing the best result.
4] Enable Night Light Option
Do your eyes feel fuzzy after a few hours of dedication in front of a computer? Do you know that sitting in front of the screen can change the body’s natural clock? Did you know this affects good mental and peaceful sleep? Nowadays, every other phone has an inbuilt ability to transform into warm colors at night. Now you can do it on the computer too. Let’s see how to enable the night light feature in Windows 11/10:
- Go to Settings, then click on System.
- From there, go to Display and click Night light settings. You can choose one slider among many according to the warmth of your need for color’s temperature. You can set hours when you want to turn on the night light according to your needs.
- After that, the night light button will appear in the Action Centre. You will be able to toggle on and off with much ease.
5] Work on the old apps that have High DPI Scaling
When you upgrade to an excellent 4K display, but some apps look blurry, you feel like a bummer. You have a way to override DPI settings for such apps and scale them for smooth and crisp reading on an HD display. Let’s see how you can do it.
- Go to Properties of the app by right-clicking the app.
- Choose the Compatibility tab and tick the Override high DPI Scaling Behaviour box. Lastly, choose System from the selected menu.
- Click on Apply and Ok once complete.
6] Go for the Display’s Original Resolution
You should always pick the native resolution of the display, which means go for the Windows recommended option. It is the highest resolution that Windows can offer. If any lower, there will be some blurriness. Try adjusting texts and icons by using the scaling option. But try to stick to the first option of the resolution.
Out of the six settings mentioned above, two updates are new, added by the Windows 11/10 Creator Update. These display settings are to upgrade the User Interface. I hope you liked our article, and these display settings in Windows 11/10 would help increase your experience while sitting in front of your computer for a more extended period.
Do you use settings other than these to reduce strain on your eyes? If yes, please let us know in the comments section below.