Screen recording apps are handy, and they come in handy in various cases. Maybe, you wish to record online classes, capture gameplay videos, make tutorial videos, capture screens to get help for some PC error, and so on. This post will share a list of the best screen recorder or recording apps in Windows.
10 Best Screen Recorder or Recording Apps in Windows
There are a bunch of screen recording apps available out there. However, among them, I find these below names to be the most efficient ones. In addition, some of these apps are free to use, and some come with affordable pricing. So go ahead and have a look at these below names:
- OBS Studio
- Icecream Screen Recorder
- Filmora Scrn
- Apowersoft Free Screen Recorder
Make sure to check the features of each app, and then choose what works best for you.
1] OBS Studio
OBS stands for open broadcaster software, and it is the favorite tool for YouTube and Twitch live streamers. It is a free, open-source software for video recording and live streaming. It is free to use and has tons of fantastic features as an open-source app.
- High-performance real-time video/audio capturing and mixing
- Set up an unlimited number of scenes
- Intuitive audio mixer with per-source filters.
- Powerful and easy to use configuration
- Available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Free to download
- Live streaming
- Powerful configuration options
- Different and customizable transitions
- Studio mode
- Complicated to use
- No undo option
- Heavy on PC resources
With Loom, you can quickly screen record or create videos using your cam. It creates instantly ready to share videos. It is handy when recording a product demo, giving feedback, or sharing your thoughts. You can install Loom on your desktop through a Chrome extension or download its app.
- Record screen, microphone, camera, and system audio
- Automatically saves your videos to the cloud and lets you share them easily
- Get notified when someone views or comments on your video
- Leave time-based comments
- Download recordings to camera roll
- View a transcript of the video
- Extremely easy to use.
- Adjust the video playback speed
- Choose who can see your recordings
- Edit and trim your videos using the web app
- Offers free plan
- Limited features in free version
Screencast-O-Matic is another easy-to-use screen recorder that you can try out. You can easily create and edit your videos and images with this one. You can capture both your screen and cam and edit your videos instantly by adding overlays, animations effects like green screen, and more.
- Intuitive screen recorder and video editor
- Mix videos, images, and music
- Unlimited stock video, photos, and music
- Cines with collaboration tools
- Multi-track audio recording and editing
- Automated caption creation.
- Unlimited recording
- Share videos with privacy controls
- Unlimited online video backup
- No free plan
- Creating video takes more time than its competitors
4] Icecream Screen Recorder
You can also check out Icecream Screen Recorder. It is a simple to use screen recorder which allows you to record any part of your screen or save it as a screenshot. Plus, it will enable you to record your screen along with audio and webcam. Plus, you can download the software free and have a premium plan.
- Record your entire screen or a specific area.
- Record your microphone or system audio.
- You can annotate your recordings by adding text, arrows, and shapes.
- Record screen with a webcam overlay.
- You can add your watermark.
- It lets you trim your recordings.
- You can hide cursor or desktop icons during screen capture.
- You can convert your recordings.
- Speed up or slow down your recorded videos.
- Schedule screen recordings.
- Most features are only available with the premium version
- Free version limits to 5-min video recording
With Camtasia, you can record professional-quality videos pretty easily. You can use the app to create YouTube videos, presentation recordings, training videos, and more. Also, you can add effects to your videos, come with different templates, and support audio and webcam capture.
- Video templates
- Drag and drops editor
- Record the entire screen, specific dimensions, a window, or an application.
- Choose music from its royalty-free library
- PowerPoint Support
- Supports annotation.
- Choose from more than 100 transitions.
- Pre-made animations.
- Highlight, magnify, spotlight, or smooth the motion of the cursor.
- No free plan
- Costlier than other
TinyTake a free screen capture and video recording software available out there. It lets you capture images and videos. Plus, you can add comments on your recordings and share them with other users pretty quickly. Also, you can record videos using your webcam, capture a region, a window, or the entire screen, and so on.
- Screen Recording up to 120 minutes.
- Record specific areas of your screen, a window, or the entire screen.
- Capture an image using your webcam
- Supports annotation
- Share stored screenshots and videos via link
- Custom shortcut keys
- Share files sized up to 2 GB
- In-built viewer for standard file types
- Time-limited free version
ShareX is also one of the best screen recorders available out there. This one is a screen capture, file sharing, and productivity tool. It offers you an easy-to-capture screen, and it is an open-source project. As a result, you can download ShareX free of cost.
- Multiple capture modes (entire screen, a window, or a specific region)
- Record screen in the form of a video or GIF
- Built-in image editor
- Share your screenshots, videos, or GIFs.
- No advertisement
- Active Open source development
- Complicated to use for beginners
8. Filmora Scrn
Filmora Scrn is a rich feature screen capturing tool. It offers tons of tools and makes it super easy for you to record and share your screen. You can grab a screen, web camera, and audio with this one. Plus, it supports screen drawing and mouse spotlight and has many other features.
- You can record from your screen and webcam at the same time.
- Supports real-time screen drawing
- New mouse spotlight feature
- Easily Zoom and pan on a particular object from a recording
- Full editing suite
- Supports custom recording field
- Three different cursor effects
- Supports audio fade in and fade out.
- Green screen effects.
- The mouse cursor effect is limited
- You will need a license.
This software can record your screen and audio activity. It records and saves your recordings in AVI video files and, using its built-in SWF Producer, can turn those AVI files into bandwidth-friendly streaming flash videos.
- Record your screen and audio to AVI files.
- Convert AVI into flash.
- Supports recording with audio.
- Add text comments to your recordings.
- Records videos with smaller file size
- Choose custom cursors.
- Reduce and increase the quality of your recordings
- Outdated UI
- Lacks most features
10] Apowersoft Free Screen Recorder
In the end, there is the Apowersoft Free Screen Recorder. This one is a professional desktop tool for recording screens and audio. You can save your recordings in standard MP4 files, and it comes with a fully-featured intuitive interface. Plus, you can export your recordings into various formats such as WMV, AVI, MP4, MOV, MKV, and more.
- Supports multiple capture modes like the entire screen, a window, or a specific region
- Record screen with audio simultaneously.
- Supports various video formats
- Two editors
- Supports schedule recording
- Automatic method of screen recording
- Built-in video converter
- Simple to use user interface
- Requires a paid license
Does Windows 11/10 Have a Screen Recorder?
Yes, Windows comes with a built-in screen recorder called Gamebar. This app comes in handy to capture your gameplay videos during PC or Xbox gaming sessions. But you can also use the tool to catch other kinds of videos apart from gaming, and it will save them as a .mp4 file.
To use it, you will first need to enable Game Bar, which you can do by going to Settings > Gaming > Xbox Game Bar and allowing it by turning on the toggle.
Once enabled, press Windows Key + G to launch Game Bar and use the record button to start capturing your screen.
How Do I Record My Screen and Audio on Windows?
If you wish to record your screen and audio simultaneously, you can use OBS Studio. It is a free-to-use tool and comes with tons of features. To get started with the tool, follow the below steps:
- Launch OBS Studio.
- Now, look for the Sources window at the bottom panel and click on the tiny plus icon.
- Select Display Capture from the popup menu.
- Create a new Display capture option > Ok.
- Then select your capture source. You can choose your Monitor or select some external source and click on OK.
- Similarly, click on the tiny plus icon and select Audio Input Capture.
- Then select your audio input source.
- Once you set up both audio and screen capture, click on the Start recording button.
So those were some of the best screen recorder apps for Windows. Most of the above names are free to use, and some of them require a paid license. So check the apps out, compare the features and settle down with an app that meets your requirements.