When Windows 8 was released, everyone was happy and enjoying the fast startup feature which made their PCs to boot up in very less time. This feature still comes with Windows 10 and works very efficiently and doesn’t disappoint the users. You may be wondering why this post guides on to disable Fast Startup in Windows 10. Read further.
What is Fast Startup?
PCs working on Windows platform operate on Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) power states. When a PC is running and ready to respond to an input, it is an “S Zero” power state. Similarly, there several such sleep states which include S1, S2, S3, and also a hybrid sleep state.
The hybrid sleep state is known as Hibernation state or S4 power state. IN hibernation, a PC seems like it is entirely turned off. However, the actual state of the OS is saved into a hibernation file. The same file can be used to bring back the files you were using in the last session.
There is another state, an S5 power state also known as the Soft-Off state. It is that state when a PC is completely off, and boots up from scratch. Which means there is no hibernation file and session to continue. The S3 power state is when a PC is completely off and consumes no power.
The fast startup enabled PCs do not completely shut down when it is set so. Such PCs enter a mix situation between a shutdown and hibernation. A hibernation file is available but a smaller when compared to the traditional one. This file’s creation takes place after you are logged off and the speed boost comes from the Windows Kernel which is saved on the HDD and gets loaded when the PC is booted.
Frankly, the fast startup is a tool which considerably boosts the startup speed, especially PCs with HDD’s. Some users out there prefer to disable the fast startup but end up keeping it active. If you are one of them, recheck if it is still active.
Reasons to Disable Fast Startup
While there is no harm if you disable programs from the Startup, but before we go ahead and do that, here are our reasons.
- If you use Wake-on-LAN, then you must disable it because with fast startup enabled, Wake-on-LAN doesn’t work.
- Linux users to face some difficulties while their PCs are on Dual Boot or while working with virtualization.
- Some users reported the power button present on their keyboard doesn’t work as well as the CPU fans continue to run.
How to Disable Fast Startup in Windows 10
- Press Windows + R keys together. A Run window will appear.
- Type control and press Enter.
- Click on Power Options > choose what the power buttons do > change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Then click to Turn on fast startup (recommended) so that the checkmark disappears.
- Click on Save changes.
You can re-enable it if you want to experience a fast boot again.
We hope the steps were easy to understand an follow to disable fast boot in Windows 10