If you have a Windows 10 device or have just updated it to Windows 10 version, then you might have seen it asks for a password when you wake your device up. If you have set a password earlier, then surely it will ask for it every time you use and wake your device from sleep mode. It may seem to be annoying for you at times. You need not worry about that because you can disable the sleep password mode in Windows 10 if you want and can use it without the password.
How to Disable Sleep Password in Windows 10
There are three ways to disable the sleep password in Windows 10
- Windows 10 Settings
- Using Group Policy
- Using Power Configuration command
You can choose any of these methods, but some of them will need admin permission
1] Windows 10 Settings
Disabling the sleep password on Windows 10 is very easy. You have to make some changes in your device’s settings, and then you are free from it. Here are the steps to tell you how you can disable the sleep password on your Windows 10 device.
Open the Start menu first. In the left bottom corner of your device, you will find the Settings icon. Click on it to customize your device. You can also open the Settings by merely pressing Windows key + I. It will appear on the right side of your device. Now you can click on any segment that you wish to change from this Settings bar.
- Then go to the Accounts segment and click on it to open.
- In this section, go to Sign-in Options on the left.
- Then on the right side, you will see Require Sign-in. You will see a small box below it. Click on it and change it to Never.
Earlier, if it was set to “When PC wakes up from sleep,” this is the reason Windows 10 asks for a password every time you open it.
Thus, setting the option to Never disable the sleep password from Windows 10. You are free from giving the password in times of use. One thing to point out here is, setting this Require Sign-in Never mode, will not only disable the sleep password but also affect the Hibernation mode of your device. It will never seek for entering the password after your device resumes from Hibernation mode.
Hope this guide was helpful for you if you are looking to disable sleep password in Windows 10. However, if you face any difficulty, do let us know in the comments section below, and we will try to resolve it soon.
2] Using Group Policy
- Type gpedit.msc in the Run prompt, and press the Enter key
- Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates
- Then System > Power Management > Sleep Settings
- Double-click the policy you want to apply:
- Require a password when a computer wakes (on battery)
- Require a password when a computer wakes (Plugged in)
- Change it to Disable option, click on OK button to apply
This policy setting specifies whether or not the user is prompted for a password when the system resumes from sleep. If you enable or do not configure this policy setting, the user is prompted for a password when the system resumes from sleep. If you disable this policy setting, the user is not prompted for a password when the system resumes from sleep.
3] Using Power Configuration
- Open Command Prompt with admin privileges
- To disable the sign-in option while your device is running on battery, use the command below, and press Enter.
powercfg /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_NONE CONSOLELOCK 0
- To disable the sign-in option when your device is plugged in, type the following command and press Enter:
powercfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_NONE CONSOLELOCK 0
To enable, set the value of CONSOLE LOCK to 1
I hope the tutorial was easy to follow, and you were able to disable Sleep Password in Windows 10.