AN update to Dev Preview i.e. Windows Phone 8.1 GDR 1 was rolled out yesterday which also included Cortana for India. The best part of this update is you can have Cortana for India without changing your region which was the only option when it was available in US. The only requirement here is you should have Speech Language as English United Kingdom version.
Follow the steps below:
- Assuming you have India as country. If not make sure to change it to India
- Go to Speech options which is under settings.
- Tap on it and look for an option which says “Speech Language”. You must have English India. Switch to English UK.
- If you never downloaded the pack before, you will be asked to download, followed by a restart
- Right after this, Cortana will be enabled for you. Hit the search button and an intro would start with Cortana
Note: This is an Alpha version and will be customized for India. So make sure to have country as India to get the best out of it.
Here is a quick video:
It’s fairly easy process to get Cortana now. Since you start starting with Cortana, make sure to read our post on Getting Started with Cortana and 11 Things Cortana does for you to get started with this.
Want to disable it?
If for what so ever reason, you would want to get rid of it, disabling is easy. Just change your language back to English India and it will disappear. When you tap on the search button, you would get big search instead.