Microsoft offers family features for Windows 10, Xbox and can also be applied to smartphones to monitor the usage of devices, and also make sure to safeguard them from dangers of the internet. In this post, I will share how you can manage family features in Windows 10 PC.
How to Manage Family Features in Windows PC and Xbox
Microsoft Family features can be managed online. Make sure to use the same account as on your Windows 10 PC, and so does the rest of the member’s account you add to the family list.
- Add a new family member to Windows 10 and Xbox.
- Manage Screentime
- Manage Apps, games, and browsing
- Spending control
- Find your Child
Add a new family member to Windows 10
If this is the first time you are doing this, create a family group. You can add children and organizing members into it. It will make sure that the child’s account can be managed if you are not around.
- The next step is to create a Microsoft account for your child, specify the age, and it will help you manage it easily.
- Next, go to the go to the Microsoft Family on the web, and sign-in with the same account you have on the computer as an admin.
- Click on the plus icon or add a family member, and provide mobile or email number. You should also decide if the person will be an organizer or only a member.
- The person who receives the invite should accept the invitation that was sent by you. Only when they accept, they will appear in the family list.
- Child accounts will have to select the option “My parent can sign in now.” When they click on it, you will have to confirm the parent as identity, and also accept legal terms, and choose whether your child can sign in to third-party apps, and select Continue.
Add Family members to Xbox
It works in a similar way, and if you don’t want to add on PC, and only on Xbox, then follow this method
- Turn on Xbox, and sign in with the primary account of Microsoft Family.
- Next, press the Xbox button to open the Guide.
- Navigate to System > Settings > Account > Family settings > Manage family members > Add to family > Add new.
- You should have the child or person around so they can sign-in their Microsoft account email address and password, and when you’re prompted, select Add to family.
Manage Screen time for the child account
Screen time is the most important thing to set up to the kids don’t end up using the computer all day. Click on the child’s account, and then switch to screen time.
Here you can setup device limits for all the devices, including Xbox and any other Windows 10 device. The section offers you to first turn on the device limit for the device, and then select the day, time limit, and the time they can use it.
App and game limits
If you worry they might be using an app more, then you can always set up a time limit for each of them. For once, its a good idea that you let them use it for a while so you can understand their usage pattern, and then apply for a limit. However, if you are sure, then you can do it right away.
Go to section, and then select the device limits section. Here you can choose multiple devices to apply the same limit or individual.
It is the same section where you can choose to set limits, block, and decide time range for each of them.
Many times your kid would need to use your PC a little longer. Kids will be able to ask for more screen time over email, and you can extend it through email and the website.
Content Restrictions for Child Account
To manage which website the child visits, which apps he opens, and media they can play, this is where you can block and allow.
- Apps, games, media can be blocked our allowed based on the rating system available for Windows and Xbox.
- Web browsing section allows you to only allow a particular website, block websites.
Control Spending for Microsoft Family Account
If you plan to give your kid the freedom to buy something, you can add balance to his Microsoft account using the Add money section. However, if you want greater control, make sure to turn on approval requests unless they are smarty enough to download and install the apps.
Purchase history is available in the same section if you choose to allow them.
Find your Child
The last section is to Find your Child. Any device where child monitoring is available, it will show the location. While this is not useful for desktop and laptops, you should use this to enable it for mobile devices.
However, you will have to use Microsoft Launcher on a child’s smartphone and let them sign in with the same account, which is under Microsoft Family.
I hope the post was easy to follow, and you were able to set up and manage family accounts using Microsoft Family Feature.