Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade is going to be the most popular upgrade keeping in mind Windows 8.1 wasn’t that successful, and there are a lot of many people still on the good old stable Windows 7. Also, Windows 7 is reaching the end of support, and there will be no security updates unless you pay for it. Its a good time for both Consumers and Businesses to upgrade to Windows 10. In this post, we will show how you can upgrade.
Note: The free offer to upgrade is not available anymore. You will have to get a new license for Windows 10 and activate the copy after the upgrade is complete.
How to Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10
Make sure of two things before upgrading. First is to backup all your files, and second is that all your crucial apps work on Windows 10.
- What do you get with Windows 10 Upgrade?
- The Upgrade Path
- How to Prepare for the Big Upgrade?
- How to Check Windows 10 Computer Compatibility?
- Post Upgrade Scenario
If nothing goes as planned and your apps didnt work, you have ten days to roll back to Windows 7.
What do you get with Windows 10 Upgrade?
- Most of all, your desktop apps will work. Upgrade Checker will let you know that before the upgrade, if any of them won’t work.
- Your Start Menu stays intact, but you get a new look, which is friendly and usable.
- New Microsoft Browser–Edge–based on Chromium. It is better and faster compared to Internet Explorer.
The Upgrade Path
- Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home, or Windows 7 Home Premium will get Windows 10 Home.
- Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate will get upgraded to Windows 10 Pro
How to Prepare for the Big Upgrade
- Backup all your important files, especially the files on the desktop and C drive, aka the device where your OS is installed.
- Make sure you have enough space on your C Drive or any external or existing partition. When Upgrading, your existing files will be saved if you want to roll back.
- Make sure Windows 7 is updated to the latest update. Go to Settings > Update and check if you need another update. You need at least Service Pack 1.
- Go to Windows Update and Select Automatic Updates. In case you have manual updates set, this will help. Next, run this command from the command prompt, wuauclt.exe/updatenow.
- The next step is to get the Windows 10 Upgrade App. Usually, you should have it already, but if you don’t see it, read our detailed post about it.
- Once you get the “Get Windows 10” Upgrade assistant, follow the wizard to reserve your copy of Windows 10.
How to Check Windows 10 Computer Compatibility?
While the reservation process makes sure you are getting the Windows 10 Upgrade, the App comes with a compatibility checker you should run. Click on the hamburger menu, and choose “Check your PC” If there are no red or yellow marks, you are all set to go.
The Upgrade Assistant will download the necessary files when you are connected to the internet. When its ready, you will get the notifications. The size of the below-marked folder is around 6 GB. Make sure to stay connected to the internet so it can keep downloading.
When you have the notification, and you are set for the update, double-check on your files and backup. The next step will be to take off any peripherals that are connected like printers etc. and disable any software that is installed to protect your system like Antivirus, Firewalls, and so on.
Once the download is ready, you will be prompted to start the upgrade process.
Post Upgrade Scenario
- You will have ten days to roll back. An option will be available in Settings > Update & Security > Recovery> Get back to the previous version of Windows.
- All your backed up files are available in the C Drive (Windows.OLD) or any other drive you chose during post-upgrade.
- Though Microsoft has made it mandatory to update all the time, you can still skip a few files if you have problems, especially with the drivers. Read how to do it here.
- Windows 10 comes with a Store that is new for Windows 7 users. I will highly recommend you to signup after the store instruction so you can make the best use of the platform. It also helps in integration across multiple devices.
Thats it. You are all done. Now reread this to cross-check few things or ask us in a comment, and only when your doubts are clear hit the upgrade.