Adding friends on Xbox has two advantages. First, you get to know the games they are playing so you can compete on scores, and secondly, you can play games with them online, which requires Xbox Live Gold Account. Apart from you can exchange messages, compare gamerscore and a lot more. In this post, I am sharing how you can add a friend on Xbox One and Xbox 360 or any Xbox Console using Gamertag.
How to add a Friend on Xbox One and Xbox 360
Ask your friends about their Gamertag. A Gamertag is a nickname that is unique for every player, which can be changed for the first time for free and by paying later on.
Once you have it, turn on your console and signin your account. Make sure your account is connected to Microsoft account; else you will not be able to add him or her.
On Xbox One
- Press the Xbox Guide button on the controller and navigate to the right till you find the People section.
- Then press on Find Someone link, which will open text box. Enter the Gamertag you got from your friend. Press the search button when done.
- If the Gamertag is correct, it will instantly open the profile of that Gamertag
- Navigate and press Add Friend option. Then select how you want to add that gamer.
- The only difference is that Favorite Gamertags appear on top of everyone, and you will receive a notification when they appear online or broadcast any game.
- Tap on Submit.
If you are not able to find the Gamertag, the person may have set its profile to private. In this case, its best to ask them to add you.
On Xbox 360
- Next, Go to My Friends and select Add Friend.
- Enter the gamer tag of your friend.
- You can also send Voice, Text message.
- Send the message and wait for your friend to approve of you.
How to Approve or Decline a Friend on Xbox One
Here is how you can deny a friend request on Xbox console.
On Xbox One
On Xbox One, things are a little different. When you add someone, they appear in your friend list without any approval, but they can block you. While you get a notification, here is how to block or limit someone on Xbox One.
- Navigate to the People section, and find the person who has added you as a friend.
- Open the profile, and then click on Change Friendship
- Here you can choose to make it a regular friend or favourite or remove him altogether.
- The same place also lets you block any Gamertag.
So what is important is managing your privacy on Xbox One. Make sure to go to Profile > My profile > Privacy settings. Here you can change how people can add you, how much of your personal and public data they can see, and more.
On Xbox 360
- When a Friend adds you, a notification appears in the message box. Your Message Box is located at Profile > Messages.
- In case you cannot see, make sure you are signed in.
- Click on the message to read. One the left side of that message, you get the option to Accept, Decline, or send a message back.
- Once done, you can see your friend in the “My Friends” section and compare games and scores with your friends.
Video demo for Xbox 360
I hope the tutorial was easy to understand, and you were able to add a new friend on Xbox One and Xbox 360 using their Gamertag.