Whenever you make changes to the registry, it is imperative that you backup your registry files. So if by mistake you make any wrong changes to your registry files or settings, you always have the option to bring your PC back to the previous state. So the question is, how do you Backup and Restore the Registry in Windows 10?
Well, in this article, I will be sharing a step-by-step guide to do that, but make sure to be careful about it. The same steps will work if you need to import a registry file you have downloaded from the internet or another PC.
How to Backup and Restore Registry in Windows 10?
Backup Registry Files in Windows 10
It is extremely simple to backup registry files on Windows 10. The OS itself offers you an export option. So for this, you have to use these below steps:
- At first, click on the Windows 10 search bar or press the Start menu and start typing.
- Type down regedit and press the Enter key to launch the program.
- Once the Registry Editor launches, you will find a list of all the available registry keys on your Windows 10 system.
- Now from the top menu, click on File and go to Export.
- On the next window, select All from the Export Range.
- Next, give your export file a name and choose a location to save the file.
- Finally, click on the Save File button, and your registry keys will get saved.
That’s it. Once the save file is completed, keep it somewhere safe, and registry files are saved. Apart from this, you can also individually export registry key files. If you are making changes to a specific registry file, you can right-click on it and export the registry file.
Restore Registry in Windows 10
Now, how do your import or restore the registry in Windows 10? The below steps would not only help you to restore your backup registry file. But if you have downloaded registry files from the internet, the below steps would help you install them on your computer.
Also, when it comes to restoring registry files, there are two options. You can either import a registry file or merge it with an existing file.
To help you out, let me mention both of the ways:
Step to Import Registry Files
- Open Run prompt using Win + R
- Type down Regedit and launch Registry Editor.
- Now go to File > import.
- Next, you will need to browse and select the reg file you want to import.
- Click on the Open button to start the import process.
- Finally, the Registry editor will import the files and make changes to the existing registry files.
Steps to Merge Registry
Windows 10 offers you an easy way to restore registry files. All you have to do is right-click on the registry file and then select Merge and let your computer do the job.
Also, both Merge and Import method works in the same way. So you can try any of these two options to restore the Registry in Windows 10.
What happens during Registry Import or Merge?
When a file is imported or merged, the Registry editor replaces existing items, adds new ones, and updates existing values. It doesn’t remove anything from the existing registry database. In short, it doesn’t synchronize. If you need to delete a set of files from the existing Registry database, you need to write a script that can do that.
So that was all. Now you know how to backup and restore Registry in Windows 10. Go ahead and try out the steps and see how they are working for you. Also, if there is anything you wish to ask, do feel free to drop a comment below.