Windows 10 is full of features and customizations, with the option of adjusting the Taskbar to the left, to the right, and more, even the desktop icons in Windows 10 could be adjusted in multiple manners, including size, spacing, and more. So if you would like to take complete utilization of the home screen, fill it with full of icons you can make them larger for comfortable viewing, else you can make it smaller for including a greater number of icons on the screen. Here’s how you can change the desktop icon size in Windows 10.
How to Change Desktop Icon Size in Windows 10
While there are quite a few methods that could be followed for accomplishing the task, below I have listed all the possible ways ranging from just a simple scroll in the mouse to, changing it via the Registry Editor.
- Scrolling with a Mouse
- Context Menu
- Registry Editor
- Change Taskbar Icon Size
Following any of the methods will be your choice, but the best in which you can easily switch between.
1] Scrolling with a Mouse
Adjusting the icon size could be as easy as selecting the folders and simply scrolling the scroll wheel on the mouse. Here’s how:
- On the Desktop of your PC, select all the folders to increase/decrease the size.
- Now, hold the Ctrl button on the keyboard and start scrolling the scroll wheel on the mouse upward or downward in order to increase or decrease the size, respectively.
- Now, you’ll notice the icons getting updated in size in real time, stop scrolling when you are satisfied with the icon size.
2] Context Menu
If one wants to change the size of the icons on the Desktop, it can be easily accomplished using the context menu, here’s how:
- In an empty space on the Desktop, make a single right-click.
- It will pop-open a context menu with multiple options, from the menu of options select View > from here select the size of an icon like; options include Small Icons, Medium Icons, and Large icons.
- One can try and experiment from the list of options to choose which one of them fits them the best.
3] Registry Editor
In case you are wondering how to change the horizontal and vertical spacing between the icons, sadly there isn’t a simple or easy way to do so, but it can be achieved using the Registry Editor, here’s how:
- Open the Registry Editor on Windows 10
- Navigate to the following path in the Registry Editor
- Here, to change the Horizontal Spacing, Under the Right pane of WindowMetrics, find and double click IconSpacing registry to modify it, and to adjust the Vertical Spacing Under the Right pane of WindowMetrics, find and double click IconVertical Spacing registry to modify it.
- Here, type in value between a minimum of -480 to a maximum of -2730, and click OK.
Note: The default value is -1128, and the maximum is -2730.
4] Change Taskbar Icon Size
When it comes to adjusting the icon size on Windows, Taskbar also is an important area to keep in mind. Here’s how you can change the Taskbar’s icon size in Windows 10:
- In an empty space in the Taskbar, make a single right-click to pop-open a drop-down menu
- Here, choose Taskbar Settings; with this, Windows will open up the settings page for adjusting options about the Taskbar.
- Here, under the Taskbar menu, you’ll find several options navigate and turn on/off the option for Small Taskbar icons to make the icons smaller or bigger, respectively.
I hope the post was useful, and you were able to Change the Desktop Icon Size in Windows 10 on your machine. With that said, How many of you prefer smaller icons over Medium or Large? Do let us know in the comments section below.