With Windows 11/10, Microsoft offers a wide variety of power options and sleep settings to help your laptop get a balanced battery life and performance. While The power and sleep settings on Windows are similar to operating with the previous versions of Windows, in case one wants to access them a bit differently, and with a few more options. In this post, I will guide you on how to change power and sleep settings in Windows 11/10.
How to Change Power and Sleep Settings in Windows 11/10
The article below guides on all the available methods to manage Power and Sleep.
- Change Power Settings in Windows
- Adjust Sleep Settings in Windows
You do not need admin permission to change any of these.
1] Change Power Settings in Windows
Windows by default ships with three power plans; you can choose based on your usage scenario. Here’s everything about the Power Plans:
- Balanced – The best power plan for most users; This option automatically balances system performance and power usage by improving to full performance when needed and power-saving mode when you don’t.
- High performance – It is, for professionals, the best plan for maximizing screen brightness and increasing system performance. It uses more energy, and in turn, it will drain your battery the quickest.
- Power saver – It is the best plan to extend battery life. This option saves energy by reducing computer performance and screen brightness to give you the most juice from your current battery charge.
Here’s how you can adjust it:
- Open the Control Panel on Windows 10 by searching for the same in the Start Search Box and selecting the main listed result.
- Navigate to Hardware and Sound -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings.
- Here change the settings based on your preference or create a new power plan based on your choices by following the guide mentioned below.
How to Create a Power Plan in Windows 11/10
Battery Power Plan is a key feature in Windows 11/10, which is incredibly useful for Laptop users. It allows them to set up a configuration that can not only deliver performance but also save battery in the long term.
- Open the Control Panel on Windows, as we did above.
- Navigate to Hardware and Sound > Power Options
- Now, navigate to the Additional Power Settings link (Right side)
- Click on Create a Power Plan available on the left panel.
- Select a template, and then choose a name for the custom power plan
- Finally, click on Create, and you’re good to go.
Power Plan can be a little complex if you deep dive into detailed settings. However, if you know what you are doing, you can get the best out of it. Read the post to learn how you can create a new Power Plan in Windows 10.
2] Adjust Sleep Settings in Windows
For users who don’t know about what Sleep Mode does, Sleep mode conserves energy by putting the computer into a low-power mode and turning off your display automatically when you’re not using it. Instead of completely shutting down your computer and later restarting it, you can put it in sleep mode so that when it wakes up, it will resume where you left off.
- Open Settings in Windows (Win+I)
- Navigate to System > Power and Sleep
- Here you’ll find various options to adjust the power and sleep options for, varying from, On battery power, On plugged in, and more.
- Adjust it based on your preferences using the dropdown.
The same could be customized using the Control Panel as well, here’s how:
- Open Windows Search using Win + S
- Type Control Panel and open when it appears in the list
- Navigate to Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Changed Advanced Settings
- Here from the various dropdown menu’s one can adjust the timings after one wants the screen to go into sleep mode.
How to use Battery Saver Mode on Windows 10
Battery Saver on Windows is pretty similar to the ones we have seen on Android devices and the low power mode of the iPhone. When this mode gets activated, it makes a few changes in the settings of your operating system to extend the battery life further. It automatically reduces the brightness of the display, which is an effective way to reduce battery consumption in any device. Here’s How you can use the battery saver mode in Windows 11/10
I hope this post was useful, and you were able to change the power and sleep settings in Windows 11/10. With that said, Which power plan do you prefer? Do drop a comment down below.
How Do I Change My Power Settings to Never Sleep?
- Press the Start button, and search Edit Power Plan. Click to launch when it appears in the search result.
- Then click on Change advanced power settings
- Select the Power Plan from the drop-down
- Change settings to the maximum for Turn off Hard Disk and Sleep sections.
You can also use Microsoft Power Toys, which comes with the Awake feature to keep your PC always on.
How Do I Reset the Power and Sleep Settings in Windows 11/10?
Go to Power Settings > Edit Power Plan > Advanced Power Settings. Select the power plan from the drop-down, and click on Restore plan defaults. This will reset both power and sleep settings.
How Do I Fix Power Settings in Windows 11/10?
- Open Run prompt and type PowerShell. Then Use Shift + Enter to launch with admin permission.
- Type powercfg-restoredefaultschemes and press the Enter key
- Once reset completes, close the window.
Why Does Windows Change My Power Settings?
When you Plugin the laptop, the Power Plan switches so, it can get into performance mode. It allows the laptop to use more resources and not worry about the battery. The opposite happens when you disconnect the power cord—Windows changes or switches to power-saving mode.