OneNote is a useful program for conducting research, taking notes, and organizing data. Given the fact that not everyone has Microsoft OneNote, you might have to convert a OneNote Notebook to another file type before sharing it with a colleague. OneNote Notebooks can be turned into several file formats, including Microsoft Word and PDF. This post will guide you to convert a OneNote Workbook into a compatible Microsoft Word or PDF document.
There are two different applications for OneNote. One is available through Microsoft Store and the other can be downloaded directly. While these apps will be finally merged, here is how you can export.
How to Convert OneNote to Word or PDF in Windows
Note that if you’d like to convert an entire document, you only get the option to export it into a PDF file. OneNote does not support converting an entire document into Word. Here’s what you need to do to convert or export a OneNote file to a Word or PDF document on your PC.
- Start by bringing up OneNote and pulling up the file to be converted.
- Next, head over to the File tab, located at the top-left corner of your OneNote screen.
- Here, select Export from the list of options in the left navigation pane.
- Now, you get three new options to go with under Export Current. You can choose between exporting the current Page, Section, or Notebook.
- Choose one based on your preferences and select PDF or Word Document from the Select Format section on the right.
- Finally, navigate and select the location to store the file and click on Save.
Convert OneNote Documents from the OneNote Microsoft Store App
If you’re on the OneNote for Windows or Microsoft Store application, here’s how you can convert OneNote files to a different file format.
- Launch the OneNote app, and head over to the file to be exported.
- Next, click on the three-dotted icon present in the top right corner of the screen to bring up a new dropdown.
- Here, choose Print from the list of options. Alternatively, you can also press CTRL + P on the keyboard.
- Now, choose Microsoft Print to PDF as the printer, select the pages you’d like to print from the Pages section, choose your orientation and finally click on Print to complete the process.
Do Changes Made to the OneNote Document Automatically Reflect in the Exported File?
Keep in mind that any modifications you make to a notebook will not be reflected in the PDF. Instead, you will be required to go through the entire process again to generate a new PDF.
Is It Possible to Convert a Single Page or an Entire Notebook?
Yes, with OneNote, users can now choose between converting either a single page, a section, or the entire workbook. The option is available under the Export tab in OneNote.
Can You Export from OneNote for Windows?
Yes, it is possible to export from OneNote for Windows 10. However, you can either print the document on paper or export it to a PDF format. You miss out on options to export to Word and many other formats.
Many people use Microsoft OneNote to take notes for class or record minutes for workplace meetings because of its capabilities, including collaborative work, automatic cloud synchronization, and write-anywhere note-taking. That said, how often do you feel the need to export OneNote files to PDF or Word documents? Do let us know by dropping a comment down below.