Microsoft Edge comes with the Bing Chat button, making it convenient for those who want to use the ChatGPT-powered assistant. However, not only the sidebar takes a bit of space, but it also doesn’t auto-hide. The button is next to the menu button in the upper right corner. If you find it distracting, here is how to disable the Bing chat button in Microsoft Edge if you do not require it.
How to Disable Bing Chat Button in Microsoft Edge
Given below are three simple methods you can use to deactivate the Bing button on your Microsoft Edge browser:
- Disable Bing Button via Registry Editor
- Disable Bing Button via Edge Browser
- Disable Bing Button via Command Line Argument
Some of these methods need an administrator account.
1] Disable Bing Button via Registry Editor
This method will use the registry editor to disable the Bing Button in Microsoft Edge. Make sure to create a system restore point.
- Open Registry Editor
- In the Registry Editor window, navigate to the following path:
- Expand the Microsoft key and check whether the Edge key already exists. If not, right-click the Microsoft key, and select New > Key. Give the new key the name Edge.
- Click on the Edge key, right-click on the right pane, and click New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Rename the newly formed value to HubsSidebarEnabled.
- Double-click on HubsSidebarEnabled, set the Value Data to 0, and click OK.
- Open Microsoft Edge and type edge://policy into the address box after completing the above step.
- Click on the Reload Policies button, and the Bing Button will disappear.
- You can undo the changes by deleting the HubsSidebarEnabled value you added to the Registry.
2] Disable Bing Button via Edge Browser
This method is only applicable to Edge 113 or above. So, this is how you disable the Bing button via the Edge browser:
- Open your Edge browser and press the Alt + F keys to open the Edge menu. Scroll down and click on the Settings option.
- On the left pane, click on the Sidebar option.
- Under App-specific settings on the right, click on the Discover option.
- On the next page, toggle off the Show Discover option.
So, that is it! You can restore the changes at any point by enabling the feature you just disabled.
3] Disable Bing Button via Command Line Argument
Versions before Edge 113 can use this method. In this method, you can make changes to the Edge desktop shortcut. This is how you go about it:
- Press the Alt + F keys to open its menu in your Microsoft Edge browser. Navigate to the Settings option and click on it.
- On the left pane, locate the System and performance option and click on it. On the right, you will find the Startup boost option under System. Toggle it off and close the Edge browser.
- Go to the Start menu, type Microsoft Edge, right-click, and click on the Open file location option from the context menu.
- Right-click on the Microsoft Edge option and click on the Properties option.
- Next to the Target box, add the command line argument given below after msedge.exe:
Note: Make sure to put a single space bar after msedge.exe and paste the command line argument.
- To save the changes, click Apply. You will get a message stating You will need to provide administrator permission to change these settings. Click on the Continue button and then click OK.
Close all the open Edge windows and relaunch them. You will find that the Bing button is disabled.
So, that is it! These methods will quickly get rid of the Bing button that may have caused an inconvenience for you. These methods apply to all Microsoft Edge browser versions. Also, you do not require third-party applications as you can easily disable the Bing button using the Windows-inbuilt features. So, I hope this article helps!