Metadata is the hidden information that a camera embeds in the photo and which cans stay embedded even when you share the same online. This can be very problematic as it can violate privacy issues. In this post, we will share how you can remove hidden metadata from Photos in Windows.
What is EXIF Data?
This data is known as EXIF data or Exchangeable Image File Format. EXIF data give you a detail of all the techniques used in a particular photograph such as exposure, metering, compression, etc. But, what EXIF data also show the location where you have clicked the picture if your camera of smartphones has geotagging facilities, this can be seriously harmful if your location gets leaked into the hands of the wrong people. Another problem with EXIF data is that it can help anyone trace the photos back to your camera.
How to Remove Hidden Metadata from Photos in Windows
These tips will also help you search for other pics that you have clicked and posted on social media sites. While there is no profound evidence that the EXIF data is being used against you, NASA does use them for intelligence analysis. In a line, it is always better to remove the EXIF data before making the pictures public, and here’s how to do it.
1] Using Windows File Explorer
Using File Explorer is probably the easiest way to remove the EXIF data from your photos before posting them online.
- Go to File Explorer and click on the image whose data you need to remove from the properties of the same.
- Go to image properties where you will get an option. Remove Properties and Personal Information.
- You can then select the data you want to remove by selecting options from the Camera as well as Advanced options and remove them permanently.
Windows 10 will not remove all the data, which is why we have the following two methods. You can also batch delete EXIF data with the help of this method.
2] Using GIMP Software
GIMP is, by far, one of the best apps that I have seen, which helps in the removal of EXIF data.
- Launch GIMP on your Windows system and export the photograph which you need to edit. Make sure that you have changed the extension of the file to JPG.
- Then click the Export As option. Once you have clicked it, you will be presented with a window which sets various export options.
- Click the Advanced option and uncheck the Save EXIF data option present there. Then click, Yes. The photograph will be exported without any EXIF data tagged to it.
3] Using Mobile Apps
Google Play Store has loads of apps that help the removal of EXIF data from your photo before you can make them ready for posting them on social media sites. In case you are addicted to mobile photography, you can use any of these apps like EXIF Eraser and EZ UnEXIF Free (EXIF Remover) for Android, to remove the EXIF data of the photos taken on your phone.
These are the three most straightforward methods of removing EXIF data or Metadata in Windows, which you can use. While there are other methods present, they can be complicated and hard to use. We hope to have helped you in safeguarding your photograph’s privacy with these three methods. I hope you would follow the tools to Remove Hidden Metadata from Photos in Windows.