Pinning a file or folder to the Start Menu can be pretty helpful. You can easily access your most important files and folders by clicking on the Start Menu. But the question is how to pin a file or folder to Start Menu in Windows. The process is pretty simple, and below, you will find steps for pinning a file and a folder.
What Does It Mean To Pin a Folder To Start?
One might want to pin files or folders to the Start Menu to access them easily. To access folders, you also have the option to pin them to the taskbar.
But there is no such option for files. Also, pinning multiple folders to the taskbar can make it cluttered, and you may not find space to keep your most used apps in the taskbar. Hence, as an alternative, the Start Menu works effectively. You can pin and unpin both folders and files with a few clicks.
How to Pin File or Folder to Start Menu in Windows 11/10?
Here are straightforward methods to pin files or folders to the Start menu in Windows. You can always remove them when it’s not needed.
- Pin A Folder
- Pin a File
It will work for all the users, and there is no need for an admin account.
1] Pin A Folder
- First, locate the folder you want to add to your Start menu.
- Right-click on the folder and select Pin to start.
- Now, if you open your Start Menu, you should see the Folder.
- You can also unpin the folder by right-clicking on it and selecting Unpin from the Start menu.
2] Pin A File
Pinning a file to the Start Menu is not as easy as pinning folders or other executable items. Like if you right-click on a file, you won’t see the Pin to start option that you see for folders.
Instead, it requires a few extra steps: creating a shortcut of the file and then pinning it to the Start Menu.
For this, follow the below steps:
- First, right-click on a file > Show more options.
- Click on Create shortcut.
- Next, please right-click on the newly created shortcut and cut it.
- Now go to this path:
- In this folder, paste the shortcut.
- After that, launch Start Menu > All Apps.
- Please search for the shortcut name, right-click on it, and select Pin to start.
- To unpin the shortcut, you can right-click it and delete it from the Programs folder.
However, adding files to the Start Menu is a complicated process. Instead, you can keep all your essential files in a specific folder and pin them to the Start menu for easy access.
Bonus Tip: How Do I Pin Folder To Quick Access?
Pin to Quick Access helps to quickly find the most used folder without searching them. Right-click on any folder, and click on Add to Quick access. The folder will instantly appear in the File Explorer pinned section. To remove, you can always click the unpin icon or repeat the same process, but choose Remove from Quick access.
So that was all about pinning files or folders to Start Menu in Windows 11/10. Adding folders to the Start Menu is much simpler than adding files. So creating a folder for your important files would make the whole process easier for you. Anyway, if you are stuck at anything, drop a comment below.