Are you interested to know how to record meetings in Microsoft Teams? Ensuring that the meeting is recorded will help you review or see them later. That way, you can share the recording within your company for reference purposes.
Why Do You Need to Record Meetings?
Digital meeting recording can transform the way teams communicate. With a meeting recording solution, you can review meetings in your organization, even if no one recorded them. Video recording is helpful if you need to capture a presentation or a meaningful discussion. You can record a meeting up to 24 hours from when you schedule it. After you record a meeting, you can share the recording with attendees of a meeting.
How to Record Meetings in Microsoft Teams?
This post will talk in detail about recording meetings via desktop and mobile in Teams. Not only that, we will cover other important topics related to recording Microsoft Teams meetings. The topics that we will cover are as follows:
- Record Meetings in Desktop App
- Where to Find Recordings?
- Who can Start or Stop Recording?
- Expiration Time for Microsoft Teams Recording
- Privacy Concerns
- Record Meetings in Mobile App
- Troubleshooting Tips
So, let’s wait for more, keep on reading and learn everything you need to know about recording Microsoft Teams meetings.
1. How to Record Microsoft Teams Meeting Using Desktop App?
Do you want to record meetings in Teams through the desktop? In that case, take a look at the detailed information given below.
Start Teams Meetings Recordings
- Join or Start the meeting in Microsoft Teams app.
- Move to the Meeting Controls. Select the More Actions (three dots icon) option.
- A drop-down will appear. Scroll down and click on the Start Recording option.
Remember that everyone present in the meeting will be notified that the recording has begun. Moreover, if the IT admin enables transcriptions, you can go for live transcriptions.
Stop Teams Meetings Recordings
- Find your way to the Meeting Controls.
- Choose More Actions (three dots icon)option.
- Select the Stop Recording from the list of options available.
Once you click on stop recording, both live transcription and recording will cease. However, if you want to stop the live transcription, you can select the stop transcription option. In that case, the recording will continue.
2. Where to Find the Teams Meetings Recordings?
Depending on the Teams meetings types, the recordings are saved at different locations. For instance, if the recording was that of a channel meeting, you will find it in SharePoint. But, if it was any other meeting type, you should check out OneDrive.
If you have a channel meeting, you will also find the recording in the meeting chat.
3. Can Everyone Start or Stop the Teams Meetings Recordings?
No, not everyone can start or stop the Teams meetings recordings. Certain factors need to be fulfilled. These are as follows:
- They must have a license. It can be any of these types – Business Essentials, Business Premium, M365 Business, Office 365 Enterprise A5, A3, A1, F3, E5, E3, and E1.
- They must not be from another company.
- They must not be anonymous.
- They must not be a guest.
The meeting organizer and any person who is a member of the organization can start or stop the Teams meetings recordings.
4. How to Set the Expiration of the Teams Meetings Recordings?
If you want to determine the expiration date of the recordings of the Microsoft Teams meetings, the process is easy. Take a look at these steps to help you do so:
- Click on the recording. It will then open in the browser you use.
- After the browser page opens, choose the Present icon in the upper-right part of the screen. It will present the details pane.
- Here, you need to click on the Expiration Date.
- A drop-down will appear having the options for changing the expiration date. You can choose the pre-determined date or custom date as per your requirements. There’s also a No expiration option if you don’t want a particular Team’s recording to be deleted.
Another way to reach the details pane section is to go to SharePoint or OneDrive. There, navigate to My Files and check the list of the recordings. Go to the recording of your choice and choose Show actions.
Show actions are represented as three vertical dots present right to the file name—select Details.
5. Are there Any Privacy Concerns?
Privacy is an important aspect that Microsoft Teams wants to carters to. That is why Teams notify all the participants involved in the meeting in Teams when you start recording. If you join the Teams meetings via mobile, web, or desktop, you will get a notification.
Make sure that you get legal permission to record the Teams meeting. That way, you can avoid any potential legal repercussions.
6. How to Record Meetings via Mobile in Teams?
Do you want to know if recording meetings in Teams via mobile is possible? Yes, you can proceed, but you will need the latest version of the app. Ensure that your phone has the recent upgrade to accommodate the recording feature.
It is easy to start and stop records of the meetings in Teams. Moreover, you can also gain access to them with ease.
Here are the details that will help you do so:
- To start the recording of the meeting, open the app.
- Navigate to the Meeting Controls.
- From there, tap on More options (three dots icon).
- Now, press the Start recording option.
- It is important to note that all participants in the meeting will be notified of the recording.
- If you want to end the recording, visit the Meeting Controls.
- Again, press More options (three dots icon)
- From the drop-down menu, tap on Stop Recording.
- It will take some time to process the meeting recording, after which it will be available on OneDrive or SharePoint.
Microsoft made a recent announcement in August 2021. It states that the meeting recordings on Teams will not be available on Microsoft Stream anymore. Instead, it will save it to SharePoint and OneDrive. Make necessary changes to ensure that everything goes smoothly and you have the recording at hand.
However, some organizations still use Microsoft Stream. In that case, Microsoft Stream will send an email to the user that opted for recording. The email will notify the user of the availability of the recording. Apart from this, it will also be present in the meeting chat or channel.
7. Tips to Troubleshoot Recordings Meeting in Microsoft Teams
Multiple things can go wrong while recording the Teams meetings. For that, you will need to contact the IT domain. Here are some tips to remember so that the error doesn’t occur.
- Guests cannot record the Teams meetings.
- The recorder and the meeting organizer must have a valid license such as Business Premium. There are many other licenses available as well.
- The IT admin needs to give the recording license to the recorder and the meeting organizer.
These are the steps you need to take to record Microsoft Teams meetings. Be it desktop or mobile – you can use both to take advantage of this excellent feature. Remember that the recording will delete automatically after a specific time.