Removing a program is an essential feature. It helps you to get rid of the applications that you don’t use anymore. Or you are trying to reinstall a program. So the question is, how to remove programs in Windows 11/10?
Uninstalling or removing programs is now a much easier process with Windows 11 compared to 10. There is no need to go to the control panel anymore to remove a program. Instead, it can be through the Start Menu only. Plus, there are a few other handy ways to remove programs. So let’s get into the topic right away.
How To Remove Programs in Windows 11/10?
Windows 11/10 brings a few different ways to uninstall an app. Although there is still the Control Panel method, it is lengthy and time-consuming. Instead, we will be talking about these below methods:
- Using Start Menu
- Using Settings App
- Control Panel
Now let me talk about all of these methods briefly below:
1. Using Start Menu
Windows 11 made it easy to uninstall programs, as it can be done using the Start Menu only. However, if you are using Windows 10, this feature is not available. Anyway, here are the steps that you have to follow:
- Click on Start Menu and select All Apps.
- Now choose the app you wish to uninstall.
- Right-click on it and select Uninstall.
- Then, a popup will appear on your screen, click on the uninstall button.
2. Using Settings App
You can also remove programs in Windows by going to settings. For this, follow the below steps:
- At first, click on the Start menu and go to Settings.
- Click on Apps from the sidebar.
- Go to Apps & features.
- Next, click on the three vertical dots next to the app you want to remove.
- Select Uninstall > Click uninstall again.
That’s it. Windows will now uninstall the program from your computer.
3. Control Panel’
Lastly, there is the Control Panel method. This method works flawlessly on both Windows 11 and 10 computers, and everyone knows about it. However, if you are not aware of it then I have shared all the steps below.
- Click on Windows search and type down Control panel and launch it.
- Click on Uninstall a program.
- Now select the program you want to remove.
- Right-click on it and select Uninstall and follow all the screen instructions.
How Do I Get Rid of Leftover Files After Uninstalling Programs Windows 11/10?
Once you are done uninstalling a program, you need to check for leftover files in %programfiles% and %appdata%. Simply put these values into the search bar to open the folder. Then if you find any folder named the program you uninstalled, then delete it too.
In addition to that, you should also check the Windows registry. So go to Windows search and type down regedit, and press enter. Go to the SOFTWARE key on each path:
Look for a key named the program you have uninstalled, then delete it, and you are good to go. However, always take a backup of the registry before editing it for anything.
How Do I Uninstall a Program That Won’t Uninstall?
First, I would recommend you run an SFC scan and DISM to fix any corrupted files in your Windows system. If that didn’t help, then you can go to Windows Registry and manually uninstall the program key to remove the application from your computer.
How Can I Remove Programs From the Startup in Windows 11/10?
- Go to Windows search and type down Task Manager and launch it.
- Click on More details and then go to the Startup tab.
- Over here, click on the app that you don’t want to run at startup and select Disable from the bottom right corner.
So that was all about how to remove programs in Windows. I hope this will help you to uninstall programs on your computer. In case you get stuck at anything, do let us know through the comments.