Outlook is one of the most widely popular email services for Windows PCs. However, it is not free of errors and issues. Users have frequently encountered errors regarding the Outlook Data File, which is responsible for storing all the data related to the accounts. This article discusses how to repair a damaged Outlook (PST) data file. Please make sure you read and follow the steps closely.
What Is Outlook (PST) Data File?
Outlook (PST) data file is entirely concerned with storing a local copy of your data linked to the email account you set up on the Outlook application on your computer. When you connect an email account to the app, a local copy of the data is stored on the computer, making the saved data accessible even without an internet connection.
You can use the Outlook data files to sync important outlook data like calendar, email, contacts, and reminders from another computer, as the data can be exported and shared with the help of these files.
What Are the Reasons for Outlook PST File Corruption?
There can be quite a few reasons for a damaged PST file. You can resolve the issue by just identifying and tweaking a few things with these issues; here they are:
- Outlook crashes and improper closure: If, for some reason, the Outlook application crashed quite a few times on your computer, or improper shutdown due to a power outage or component failure. The chances are that the file may not have been properly created, and it may have been corrupt due to the incomplete process.
- Hard disk failure and bad sectors: The Outlook data file is stored on the disk of your computer. If your drive is old enough or has not been adequately maintained, it can develop bad sectors over time. In extreme cases, it can even go towards failure. In either of these cases, the PST file can be corrupt.
- Auto recovery is off: There is no definite reason for the corruption of the Outlook data files. Outlook has an inbuilt Auto recovery feature that keeps a backup of your PST file. So in case something goes wrong, the feature can replace the files. The error may occur if the file got corrupt and the feature was off at the time.
- Malware or Virus Attacks: As previously stated, the Outlook data file is available on your PC. The virus and malware attacks on your computer cause damage to all the files stored locally on the device, which may have led to the corruption of the Outlook (PST) data file.
How to Repair Outlook Data File PST (Microsoft Office)
Here are the two most effortless and working fixes for the corrupted or damaged Outlook data file; please make sure that you follow all the steps very closely to avoid any margin of error. Here is a list of methods covered:
- Using Outlook Data File Using ScanPST.EXE
- Using Outlook Data File Using MS Office Advanced Diagnostics Tool
Let’s have a close look at the steps for these methods.
1] Repairing Outlook Data File Using SCANPST.exe
SCANPST.exe is a useful utility provided with every copy of MS office installed in Windows. With SCANPST.exe, you can repair PST Outlook data files and continue using them without having to lose your precious user data.
Here’s how to use it:
- Open Windows Explorer and head over to the following locations categorized by the version of Outlook you are currently on:
- Outlook 2019: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
- Outlook 2016: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
- Outlook 2013: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
- Outlook 2010: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
- Outlook 2007: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
- Once inside the specific folder, look for the file named SCANPST.exe and Run it.
- A new dialog box will open. Click the Browse button in the dialog box to locate and select the damaged Outlook data file.
- Once selected, the utility automatically scans the file for errors. If there are errors with the file, you can click the Repair button in the bottom right corner to start the process.
- After completing the repair, try logging in to Outlook again.
2] Repairing Outlook Data File Using MS Office Advanced Diagnostics Tool
MS Office advanced diagnostics tool, unlike the SCANPST.exe, is not preinstalled with Outlook. Still, the application scans the Outlook and MS office copies installed on your computer and helps you identify and troubleshoot errors. Here’s how you can use it.
- Download the tool from Microsoft’s website and install it by following the onscreen instructions.
- Once installed, the icon will appear on your desktop, and as soon as you click the icon to open it, the diagnostics start automatically.
- Once the diagnostics are complete, the tool will suggest measures to solve the issue. Sometimes, it will automatically make some changes to make things work out.
- You can also look at the logs to find a detailed report of all the errors.
Gone are the times when you were destined to lose all of your precious data in case of a damaged or corrupted file. With a bit of clever work, you can always recover most of it. We hope you found the article to be helpful. Please make sure you share it with everyone.
Will I Lose All The Data If Repair Outlook Data File?
You will not lose any data if you repair the Outlook data file using the tools from Microsoft itself. As with most of them, you can create a backup copy of the file before attempting the repair, so in case anything goes sideways, you always have the file intact and placed.
Is Outlook Better Than Gmail?
There isn’t a definite answer to this, but having an Outlook email account means you don’t have to create a separate account to log in to Windows. Outlook also has slightly better functionality than Gmail in Windows. In comparison, Gmail does not serve ads in the web view versions, but Outlook does.