Microsoft is set to roll out Windows 10 Mobile update for most of the Windows Phone 8.1 devices in January. I am sure many of you are already on Windows 10 Mobile Insiders version, either to try it out or send feedback to the dev team. While the later situation is all good for feedbacks, if you just came here to try out out, and now want to go back, here is what you need to do.
Backup Your Data
- First things first, Make sure you have backed up all the data on your SD card or on OneDrive. You need to make sure to backup your photos specifically.
- After you have backed up, and ready to go, all you need is a USB cable, your Windows Phone, a Windows PC with a good internet connection.
- Now download and install to your computer.
- When the installation has finished, start the application and you will see this screen:
- Connect your phone to PC using the USB cable. If your phone is not automatically detected, disconnect all phones from your computer, and press My phone was not detected at the bottom of the main screen.
- After the phone is detected, Select your phone model to continue.
- Next screen shows you the available software versions. Click on the reinstall Software button.
- As soon as you click on reinstall software, a disclaimer will be prompted asking you to backup your phone, and also warn that current version of Software installed is latest. This is obvious.
- Click on Continue.
- The tool downloads, and installs the software. This process may take a while depending on your internet connection and the phone may restart several times.
- After its done installing, it will prompt with the message saying “Your phone software has been successfully installed, and user content erased”.
- Once the phone restarts, it will take you to the setup screen. You are not back to Windows Phone 8.1
- Don’t disconnect your phone during the whole process.
- This guide is valid till Microsoft hasn’t officially rolled out Windows 10 for your device. Once releases, you will not see Windows Phone 8.1 software.