When it comes to changing the default search engine in Windows 10 PC, and Windows 10 Mobile, things have changed a bit from choosing between Bing and Google in Windows 8.1 / Windows Phone 8.1 to Open Search Implementation. In simple words, Edge can now detect if a webpage you are now on can become a search provider like Bing, Google, and others. So here is how you do it in Windows 10 Mobile:
- Open Microsoft Edge on the phone.
- Type in the Search Engine website url and open it.
- Now Select Menu Bar (…) > Settings > Scroll to Select “View Advance Settings”.
- In next screen, look for a label which says “Search in the address bar with”. The default must be BING.
- Tap on the button which says CHANGE.
- Now, if you have Google.com open currently, you should see the option which says “Goole Search(discovered)”.
- Tap and select Set as default.
- To remove, select remove.
Related : How to Set Google as Search Engine in Windows 10 PC
While this could be confusing who are new to this, but this can be easier way to set any search engine which sticks to Open Search standards. You can add as many search providers you wish for, and manage them easily.
Done that, one thing you should know that this does not change the way Cortana makes a search. It’s purely based on Bing and when you use Cortana directly, it will still use Bing. However, any search made on the edge address bar will not use Cortana which means the amount of data that she takes to personalise search results for you go low.
Thanks for explaining how to do this. it’s disappointing that Bing is hard-coded in as the search provider for the Cortana/Search button. i’ve been a WP user since the beginning and have never used the search button on the phone because i have never used Bing. it’s a real shame that MS don’t allow alternative search providers, i don’t actually know anyone who uses Bing over google.
as an end-user, all i want that search button to do is a google search, but i still can’t use it!
Hey Tim Mackey, it is like Windows and Edge. It uses Bing since it is the default and only option. Well you can change it but if anything happens. There is a backup that is always on Windows. Microsoft will have ot have a license rom Google or Duckduckgo to be able to use it in Cortona. It is same with Siri or Google