If you travel a lot and visit countries like China, where specific sites are banned and cannot be accessed, and there no way to get through, then the best option is to try a VPN connection. Virtual Private Network, aka VPN, extends a private network across public networks like the Internet. It enables a host computer to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if they were a part of the private network with all the functionality, security, and management policies of the private network. In this post, we will share how you can setup a VPN on Windows 10 computer without using any software.
How to Setup VPN on Windows 10 Computer
Windows 10 has native support for VPN. While it works, your VPN provider should also support this configuration. Most of the providers offer a software-based solution that could be easier than setting this up. You will need an administrator account to get this done.
- Go to Settings > Network and Internet > VPN
- Click on the plus icon next to “Add a VPN Connection.”
- In the next screen, you will need to add VPN details, including username and password.
- Next, you will need to add the Server URL, Username, and Password.
- Once done, make sure to check the option “Remember my sign-in info.”
Once done, the VPN connection will be available to use anytime with a click of a button. You won’t have to do anything extra.
If it’s for a VPN service you subscribe to for personal use, visit the Microsoft Store to see if there’s an app for that service, then go to the VPN service’s website to see if the VPN connection settings to use are listed there.
Here are two more options you should know. In the same screen, where you click on + icon to create a VPN, you can :
- Choose to use it over a metered connection
- And also use it when on Roaming.
The easiest way to connect over VPN is using Action Centre of Windows 10. You have a quick toggle available. Just click on it and start using VPN instantly. In case you face any problem, make sure to reset the network adaptor and then try again.
How to disconnect and remove a VPN on Windows 10?
If you no longer want to use VPN or want to remove an existing VPN connection, follow the below-mentioned step. While disconnecting is easy using the Action Center toggle, removing a VPN takes some extra steps.
- Click on the Start button, and then click on Settings
- Navigate to Network & Internet > Click VPN.
- Click a VPN connection you want to disconnect or remove.
- Click Disconnect and then click On Remove
- Click Remove again to confirm.
I hope the tutorial was easy to follow, and you were able to setup a VPN in Windows 10. Let us know which VPN are you using in Windows 10 PC.