Keeping files organized on your Windows system will help you to find your important files quicker. But on our Windows system, there are so many folders that we don’t even use. So by deleting them, you will free up disk space. But going to each folder and seeing its contents would take a lot of time. Instead, what if you can see the folder size in the File explorer only? That would be a good idea. But if you don’t know how to do so, this article guides you on how to show folder size in Windows 10 file explorer.
How to Show Folder Size in Windows 10 File Explorer?
In Windows 10, there is no in-built option that allows you to see the folder size in File Explorer. But yes, there is one method that lets you see the size of a file. And for folders, you can try following some extra apps or download third-party software.
- View File or Folder Size in File Explorer
- Use Folder Size Application
- View Folder size from Properties
- See Folder Size Windows 10 with CMD
You do not need admin permission to make use of these tips.
1] View Folder Size in File Explorer using Tooltip.
While Windows 10 doesn’t offer a folder size column, it does show its size when you mouse hovers it, i.e., Folder or File tooltip. Remember, there is no official way to display folder size in the File Explorer, but the tooltip works. If you need software, check the next suggestion.
2] Use Folder Size Application
Lastly, you can use Folder Size software to see the folder size in Windows 10 File Explorer. The software is developed to see the sizes of folders in the File Explorer. Also, you can download it free of cost, and it works pretty smoothly with Windows 10.
To get started with Folder Size, follow these steps:
- At first, download Folder Size.
- Then follow all the onscreen instructions and install the software.
- Once installed, go to File Explorer, and you will get to see a small window that has opened up on the right side of your screen. This Window will now display the size of the folders.
2] View Folder size from Properties
You can also see folder size in Windows 10 by going to the properties Windows. However, this isn’t a straightforward method but still does the job. For this, you will need to follow these steps:
- Launch File Explorer and find your target folder.
- Then right-click on the folder and go to Properties.
- Now you will see the folder size, location, number of subfolders, and other info under the General tab in the Folder Properties window.
If you wish to see info of multiple folders at once, hold down the CTRL key and select all the folders. Then right-click and select Properties, and you will get to see the file size of all the folders combined.
Alternatively, you can hover to each folder, and it will display the size.
3] See Folder Size Windows 10 with CMD
You can also use CMD or Comand Prompt to see the folder size in Windows 10. For this, you will need to follow these steps:
- At first, click on the Windows search bar.
- Then type down CMD and hit enter.
- Once you are on CMD, go to the folder location by typing the dir /s “folder path” command.
So those were a couple of methods that let you show folder size in Windows 10 File Explorer. Sadly, Windows doesn’t have any straightforward option that shows the folder size, but it has an option to see the file size. But yes, you can always rely on third-party apps to get done with the job. Anyway, I hope this article has helped you with your question about showing folder size in Windows 10 File Explorer.