Are you wondering about using your Microphone? In this guide, I will tell you how to turn on the Microphone in Windows. These methods work on Windows 11 and Windows 10.
A microphone is usually built into a laptop, headset, or headphones. Computer users can input audio into their computers using a microphone. If you’re able to connect a pair of headphones to your computer, or the integrated speakers on your PC work, there’s a good chance that the accompanying mic will also work. You can disable the mic, too, and still use the speakers.
Why Do You Need a Microphone?
We strongly recommend that anyone who frequently uses their computer for applications where people expect to hear their voice-for example, voice or video calls, podcasting, recording music, or online gaming-consider investing in an add-on computer microphone. Here is a list of some of the different things a microphone can do on a computer.
- Recording audio for a video
- Voice recorder
- Voice recognition
- Computer gaming
- Online chatting
- Capturing any noise in a room
- Recording voice for dictation, singing, and podcasts.
- Recording musical instruments
Microphone Disabled? Here Is How To Turn On the Microphone in Windows
The Microphone may not work for two reasons: either it needs to be enabled or not working. Here are few methods through which you can allow your Microphone to work:
- Re-enable Microphone from Settings
- Re-enable Microphone from Sound Settings
- Re-enable Microphone from Device Manager
- Check app access and volume.
Let’s check them out one by one.
1] Re-Enable Microphone Access From Settings
If your Microphone is off, you can quickly turn it on from settings. Follow these steps to do so:
- Go to the Start button on the taskbar > Click on Settings
- Go to the Privacy group of settings > Select the Microphone tab.
- If the Microphone access is off, click the Change button to turn it ON.
Start your PC again to make sure everything is running smoothly.
2] Re-Enable Microphone From Sound Settings
Here are the steps to turn on the Microphone through Control Panel
- Go to the Start button > Search for the Control Panel.
- In the control panel and click on Sound.
- Go to the Recording tab.
- Right-click your mic > Select Enable from the context menu.
- If the mic isn’t there, right-click anywhere in the blank area.
- From the context menu, choose Show Disabled Devices.
- Right-Click on your Microphone that you want to enable
- Click on Enable from the menu.
Now check if this turned on your Microphone.
3] Re-Enable Microphone From Device Manager
You cannot enable the mic from the Control Panel or the Settings app if it is disabled from the Device Manager. To do this, you will have to use the Device Manager. Follow these steps to turn on the Microphone using the device manager:
- Right-click on the Start button > Select the Device Manager.
- Double click on Audio inputs and outputs to expand and look at the options
- Right-Click on your Microphone that is to be enabled
- Select Enable device from the menu
Now check your Microphone and see if it works.
4] Check App Access and Volume
Your mic may be working perfectly, but you have disabled access to it in certain apps or muted it. To check whether apps can access your Microphone, follow these steps given below:
- Go to the Start menu > Click the gear icon to open the Settings app.
- Go to the Privacy group of settings.
- If you want to use the Microphone with an app, scroll down the list and make sure the app has access to it.
Check out if this worked for you.
Does my PC Have a Microphone?
Following these steps will help you identify if your system has a microphone using Microsoft Windows.
- Go to the Start button > Search for Control Panel.
- In the Category view,> click on Hardware and Sound > Click on Sound.
- You will find a microphone on your computer in the Recording tab if it is an external or internal microphone.
The Microphone Volume Is Too Low or Does Not Appear to Work?
Try the following solutions:
- Ensure that the microphone or headset is connected correctly to your computer.
- A correct microphone position is essential.
- Increase the volume of your Microphone.
How Do I Lower My Mic Sensitivity?
Follow these steps to lower the sensitivity of your microphone in Windows 11/10:
- Go to Start > Select Settings > System > Sound .
- Under Choose your input device, make sure your Microphone is selected > Select Device Properties.
- Click on the Levels tab of the Microphone Properties window.
- Now, adjust the Microphone and Microphone Boost sliders as needed > Click on OK.
- Check that your settings are working by speaking into your Microphone while checking under Test your Microphone.
- You will see a line moving from left to right if your microphone is working. If you don’t see a change, the Microphone isn’t picking up sound.
How Do I Turn Off the Microphone on Windows 11/10?
Here are the steps to follow to fix this issue.
- In the search box, type Sound and press Enter.
- Select the Recording tab.
- Right-click on Microphone > Click Properties.
- On the Properties window, expand Device usage and disable the device > Click OK.
It will turn off your Microphone. I hope this post will help you know how to turn on a Microphone in Windows.