Since the much-awaited launch of Windows 10, Microsoft has showcased some revolutionary features, one of them is the personalized virtual assistant Cortana. Cortana can be used to perform both non-conventional as well as everyday tasks such as Restart, log off, hibernate, lock, or shutdown of PCs and that too hands-free with just your Voice (running Windows 10). Yes, you read it right, please look below how you can shutdown Windows 10 PC using voice commands. You can also restart, log off, hibernate, or log out from Windows 10.
How to Shut down, Restart, Log off Windows 10 using Voice Commands
If you own an Xbox Kinect or any Android phones, you can have a voice command at all times by saying some ‘magic phrases’ – Ok, Google (this happens because the device is always listening to your commands). Windows 10 Cortana voice assistant will not wake up if you do not click on her search box. With simple customization of the personalized settings, you can enable or disable listening mode in Windows 10 and start a voice command by saying the magic words ‘Hey Cortana.’ Follow the steps to execute this:
- Go to Settings > Cortana > Talk to Cortana
- Turn on “Hey Cortana” toggle.
You can also use Cortana keyboard shortcut WIN + C to activate Cortana silently.
1] Shutdown Windows 10 PC using Voice commands
- Open the windows file explorer and then navigate to the following location: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
- Create a shortcut here and then right-click inside this Program folder and select the New Shortcut Option.
- In the location field which will appear on the computer screen, type the following: shutdown.exe -s -t 10
- It will start the shutdown process just after 10 seconds.
- If you want to shut down right now, then do the following: shutdown.exe –s
- Give a name to the shortcut Shut Down.
Once you are done creating the shortcut, then say Hey Cortana and then say, Open Shut Down. You can always use Launch voice commands, open or start. After this action, you will see that Windows is initiating the shutdown process.
2] Restart Windows 10 PC Using Cortana
If you would like to restart Windows 10 on your computer using Cortana, follow the same steps as above and use the below command:
- shutdown.exe –r – t 00 and give it a name as Restart.
After that, say Hey Cortana followed by Restart. Now again here also you can use Open or even Start or Launch voice commands. Your PC will automatically restart.
3] How to Log off Windows 10 PC with Voice
Using Cortana, if you’re willing to log off your Windows 10 on your computer, then use the following commands:
- shutdown.exe -L and give it a name as Log Off
And now say Hey Cortana and then Open Log Off and similarly, here also use Open, start or Launch voice commands.
4] Hibernate Windows 10 PC using Cortana
To hibernate your Windows 10 PC, use the following command:
- shutdown.exe -h and just name the shortcut as Hibernate
Now say Hey Cortana and then open Hibernate.
5] Sleep Windows 10 PC using Voice
For hibernating your computer use the following command to create a shortcut to Sleep your Windows computer and name it as Sleep:
- rundll32.exe powrprof.dll, SetsuspendState 0,1,0
And now say Hey Cortana and then Open Sleep. Sometimes it may not work, then open CMD and run powercgf –and observe that if the PC supports the power state.
6] How to Lock Windows 10 PC Using Cortana
To lock your PC, use the following command to make a shortcut to lock your windows computer and then name it as Lock:
- rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation
And now say Hey Cortana and now Open Lock.
So, these are the easy steps that you can follow to turn on and off, sleep or hibernate your Windows 10 PC using voice commands. You can easily add other new voice commands in Cortana.
If you have any questions related to the article or facing any difficulty, do let us know in the comments section below, and we will try to solve it for you. I hope the tutorial on how to Shutdown, Restart, Log off Windows 10 using Voice Commands was easy to follow.