Windows uses different drivers to ensure that peripherals and devices connected to the PC work properly. It includes the USB drivers as well. While Windows uses generic drivers to connect to any USB device, some are special. So if your USB device is not working as expected, one way to fix it is to update USB drivers in Windows. This post explains USB drivers and why you should update them on your Windows PC.
Why Do You Need to Update the USB Driver Windows?
Most USB devices and the Wi-Fi network require updated drivers to function correctly, as do your keyboard, printer, and mice. You should update the USB drivers when you are experiencing problems connecting mice, printers, and other peripherals to Windows.
You have to update the USB Driver for Windows to avoid problems with desired functions of various devices.
- Mouse not working: Without the latest USB drivers, you will likely experience issues working with your mouse devices.
- Unable to print documents: You could also encounter problems printing documents as your USB drivers might not be updated. Updates for the USB drivers on Windows can help you avoid such issues effortlessly.
- Windows and other similar issues do not detect the camera.
- Unable to open USB drive because it needs additional software
You must also keep the USB driver updated to ensure that all the devices, such as the camera, can work properly and you enjoy the following benefits:
- Can avoid facing USB driver-related issues: The USB driver-related complications can become one of the most nagging issues in using USB devices. You can update the latest USB drivers to avoid your USB devices going out of order frequently.
- Guarantees optimum performance: When you have the necessary USB driver updates on your computer, it can communicate effectively with the USB hardware devices. As a result, driver updates can help you keep your USB devices working as expected with optimum performance.
- Keeps users updated with bug fixes and technological advancement: The objective of installing the latest USB drivers also focuses on introducing the latest bug fixes and other technical improvements. Your Windows PC evolves for newer challenges with driver updates. You can use the USB driver updates to learn about the latest bug fixes introduced with the driver and how they work.
Best Methods to Update USB Drivers in Windows 11/10
If you want to update the USB drivers on your Windows 11/10 PC, you can do it via three methods.
- Update Via Windows Update (Optional Updates)
- Download USB Drivers from the manufacturer’s website
- By using a reliable driver updater program (Free/Paid)
Follow the exact steps as given below.
1] Update Via Windows Update (Optional Updates)
You can use the Windows Update feature for updating your Windows 11/10 USB Driver through the following steps.
- Open the Settings window from the Start menu and click on the Update & Security option.
- Select Windows Update on the left section of the Window and select the Check for Updates option. Windows would search for the available updates and drivers, and you must download and install them.
- You can also click on the View optional updates option to discover any additional updates you might have missed.
However, you must know that the manufacturer of the USB device must have registered their driver updates on the Windows Update Channel. If USB device manufacturers don’t submit the driver updates, the USB driver will remain outdated even if Windows has completed updating.
2] Download USB Drivers From the Manufacturer’s Website
You can also try downloading the USB drivers from the manufacturer’s website if you don’t find the driver updates on Windows Update. Use the following steps for identifying and downloading drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
- Identify the model of the specific USB device for which you need drivers. It can help you identify the drivers you need to download from the website.
- Access the hardware manufacturer’s support website, which offers in-depth support information such as troubleshooting information, driver downloads, and manuals.
- Identify the driver download section on the manufacturer’s support site and use the website navigation or search function to select specific hardware for which you need the drivers.
- Select the drivers explicitly tailored for the concerned operating system and download them to a familiar location on your computer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to extract the downloaded drivers and install them on your Windows PC.
3] By Using a Reliable Driver Updater Program (Free/Paid)
You must look for a reliable driver updater if you cannot afford the time. Many top-rated free and paid driver updater programs are available in the market. Go for the best one per your requirement and follow their official page to understand how that tool works. Download that tool from its official website and apply the process to update your USB driver. We will always recommend using a paid tool for safety and quick processing.
The benefits of updating your USB drivers serve as solid reasons for identifying the best methods to update your USB driver on Windows 10/11. You have three choices: direct Windows Updates, driver updates from the manufacturer’s website, or a trustworthy driver updating software. Choose the one that suits your needs and uses your USB devices conveniently.
Does Updating to Windows 10/11 Update USB Drivers?
Not any more. Driver updates are optional; if the OEM delivers updates via Windows Update, you need to install them manually.
Why Is the USB Port Not Working?
The reasons for which your USB port is not working might include inadequate power supply, problems in the Windows registry, damaged USB port, or physical damage. The lack of recent updates might also affect the normal functions of USB ports.
Why Is My USB Not Showing Up on My System?
You might not see the USB device on your system because it is not connected correctly to your computer or due to any bugs in the system. A faulty USB device can also be one of the reasons why you cannot see your USB device on a Windows PC.
Can I Install Windows 11 on USB?
Yes, installing Windows 11 on USB is possible, but you must ensure that the flash drive has adequate space. You will need to use software such as Rufus, which allows Windows To Go installations.
What is a USB Drive?
The USB drive is any device you can connect to a computer’s USB port. One of the common examples of a USB drive is a flash drive. The list of USB devices also includes peripherals like keyboards and mouse devices, which you can connect with a computer on a single port. USB drivers are software on the computer that communicates with the hardware of a USB drive device to ensure desired functionality.