After Mango Update ( 7.5 ), I was expecting Windows Phone ( Samsung Focus Unlocked AT&T ) to have Tethering enabled like Nexus S had so I can connect with my laptop or any other phone to share internet connection but it seems because of restrictions by operators it is not possible.
Then I cam around two hacks One which allows you to enable USB Modem tethering so you can connect it to PC as Modem and second allows you enable Internet Sharing feature ( or using WiFi as portable router ) in Windows Phone 7.5 on available Samsung devices.
Warning : Both the tutorials are unofficial, So make sure you have data backed up or be ready to install the apps again using Zune or Overt The Air.
Update : If you are using a Samsung Windows Phone, Use this Six Step Method to get Interop Unlock and Wifi Hotspot
Using Windows Phone as USB Tethered Modem :
To do this, you will need to enable Modem configuration on your windows phone. So follow the steps below :
- Go to dial pad of your windows phone and key in ##634#
- This will launch the diagnostic mode which has a keypad. Here again you need to key in *#7284#
- Next you will get a screen which says Micro USB Test with three options, Zune Sync, Modem Tethered Call and Modem USB Diag.
- Choose second option and your phone will restart.
- Now connect your phone to your PC and wait for drivers to get installed. In case you have issues, Windows Should find driver you need.
- In case it asks you to download and install manually, just before installing the driver, unplug the USB cable, Then install and then plug-in. Remember if you plugin and install you might get driver certificate warning.
- This will then find driver and you should be able to see your phone under modem section.
- Now disconnect from any existing internet and create a new connection using the modem. Here you will need to enter username password etc.
- Use number as *99***1#, user name as [email protected], password as CINGULAR1, and connect.
- You should be good enough. Just set this network to Home Network on Windows.
Video demo of USB Tethering in Windows Phone
Using Windows Phone as WiFi Tethered Router :
This is not for a regular windows phone user so if you aren’t just use the method above or wait for your operator to enable this. However if you are ready to take a bumpy ride follow the steps below which are detailed here
You need a developer unlocked Windows Phone and this works on Omnia 7 and Sasmung Focus with Mango Update.
Required Software :
- Clear off all network profile including WIFI and APN settings you already have in your Cellular Profile.
- Since we will be uploading third party app here which is not even legitimate, you need to remove InterOP-unlock your device. This is new kind of lock which safeguards your Windows Phone even in development mode.
- You need to deploy DiagProvXML and other XML you downloaded and follow the instructions there.
- Finally after a reboot, you can you can go to settings -> Internet Sharing and start using it.