I play Gears of War with a couple of friends, and they all belong to different countries. Many a time we miss what others are saying because of our accent. Sometimes it is because of the sound effects of the game. If that’s the case with you, you can enable the Game Chat transcription feature on Xbox One and Windows 10. It converts in-game player speech to text that you can read on the screen. It can also read the chat text that you type to other players aloud.
How to enable Game Chat Transcription on Xbox One and Windows 10
This feature allows speech-to-text and text-to-speech capabilities, offering a new way to communicate that creates a more accessible and inclusive gaming experience for everyone. I had used it with Kinect, and it picks up pretty well. And it can pick up any voice so be careful. Game Chat Transcription works in two ways:
- Speech-to-text provides the ability to convert all player’s voice communications in the game chat into text. The players using this feature can read the text on their screen in real-time.
- Text-to-speech provides the ability for players using this feature to have their typed text spoken aloud to other players in the game.
Turning on Game Chat Transcription feature
On Xbox One
- Open the Xbox Guide by pressing the guide button on the controller.
- Go to Settings > All settings > Ease of Access > Game chat transcription.
- To transcribe other players’ voices into text, select Speech-to-text on
- Select Text-to-speech to have your chat text read aloud to other players
- To choose the voice that other players will hear when your chat text is read aloud, select one of the available voices in the Text-to-speech voice menu.
On a Windows 10 PC
- Open the Xbox app and go to Settings > General > Game chat transcription.
- To transcribe other players’ voices into text, select Speech-to-text.
- To have your chat text read aloud to other players, select Text-to-speech.
You will have to make sure everyone has their privacy communications settings set to Everybody. If it is only set to known friends, then others will not be able to see it. That said, it works, but it can misspell at times. It depends on how well it picks up your voice, so using a headset is the best for transcript feature. Also, the game has to support this feature to work. So if you don’t see it on your game, it’s probably not supported.
The Game Chat Transcription is an accessibility feature, hence found in Ease of Access, and not in the Gaming Settings. However, this new feature will benefit gamers more than anyone else. Players wouldn’t have to take the stress of typing while gaming, they can speak out loud, and this feature will convert their voice to text. So, could this be the new way of gaming? Let us know below.
Bonus Reading: Everything We know about Project Scorpio Till Date