When updating the apps in the store yesterday, I saw an interesting update to an app which I never noticed before. Paid WiFi & Mobile is the exact name, and when you launch the app it talks about both of these options. This app will be useful for people who want to get access to internet, and pay on the go but with Microsoft Infrastructure.
Get Connected to participating WiFi Hotspots that are available at popular locations, such as hotels airports, conferences and more. To get started”
- To view available WiFi networks, select the network icon at the far right hand end of the Windows taskbar.
- IN the list of networks, look for a wifi network that has WiFi hotspot underneath it. If you dont see one, the service might not be available in your current location.
- Select the network, then follow the steps to buy a prepaid WiFi plan to get online.
Paid Mobile Data:
- Select the network icon at the far right hand end of the Windows taskbar.
- In the list of networks, look for a mobile data network that has “Buy from Windows Store” underneath it.
- Select the network, then follow the steps to buy a prepaid Mobile data plan to get online.
This will work with mobile modem, and Microsoft SIM Card, and depend on your region.
The last line makes it clear. Microsoft is building a paid system which will allow anybody to access internet on the go. We might see Windows 10 devices, specially Surface to come with a modem and a slim slot that will make it easy for consumers who travel a lot. This is not something really new, but coming form Microsoft there should be a solid plan for this, even if its country specific.