We all love using the Internet, but we are not so aware of how much data we consume. Internet service plans often have a data limit, and if you exceed the limit, you might have to pay extra. There is no extra charge in some cases, but your connection speed becomes slower until the billing cycle ends. While the metered connection is usually applicable for Mobile Data where the volume of data is generally limited, today, we will set your Ethernet Connection as Metered in Windows 11/10.
What happens in Metered Connection in Windows 11/10
When set as metered, Windows restricts any form of additional downloads. That includes Windows Update, Auto-update for apps, and even sharing Windows Update files on the Internet.
How to Set Ethernet Connection as Metered in Windows
So to avoid this situation, you can set your internet connection as metered and control the data usage in your Windows 10 PC. To establish your Ethernet connection as metered, first, you should be signed in as an administrator on your Windows PC. Then you can follow the steps shown below to set your Ethernet connection as metered or non-metered.
- Set Ethernet connection as metered via Registry
- Set Ethernet connection as metered via Windows Settings
1] Set Ethernet connection as metered via Registry
- Press the Windows button + R keys to open Run, type Regedit, and press Enter to open Registry Editor.
- Navigate to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost
- Right-Click on the DefaultMediaCost and select Permissions.
- Click on the Advanced option, which you will find in Security Tab.
- Click on the Change link, which you will find in the Advanced security settings tab.
- After this, you will select the User or Group tab, type Administrator, and click on Check Names. It is to make sure that you are on the right path. Click OK after you do this.
- On the Advanced Security Settings for DefaultMediaCost, check the “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.” Click Apply and OK after you check the box.
- Now you will enter into Permissions for DefaultMediaCost tab, select the Administrators group, and then make sure to check the Full Control box — Click Apply and OK after you do this.
- On the DefaultMediaCost key, you’ll find different entries, including keys for 3G, 4G, Default, Ethernet, and Wi-Fi with their default data values: 1 or 2. The data value 1 means that the connection type is non-metered, and the data value of 2 means that the connection type is metered. Double-click the Ethernet DWORD (32-bit) Value key and change the value to 2.
- Click OK and close the Registry. Then restart your PC to end the process.
- Once you are back into your account, the PC internet connection will be set as metered.
The registry setting will change Ethernet Connection as Metered in Windows 10. Use this only when you are on a limited connection or using a SIM in your laptop where data is limited.
2] Set Ethernet connection as metered via Windows Settings
- Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Network
- Scroll to find Metered Connection
- Turn on the toggle that says Set as Metered connection
If you only want to set Data Limit, click on the link. Set a data limit to help control data usage on this network. It will take you to the Data Limit settings. Click on the Data Limit button. Here you can choose how many MB/GB of data the computer can use.
These tips will ensure that you save a lot of data if you are on a limited ethernet connection.