We all love using the Internet, but we are not so aware of how much data we consume. Internet service plans often have a data limit, and if you exceed the limit, you might have to pay extra. In some cases, there is no extra charge, but your connection speed becomes slower until the billing cycle ends. While the metered connection is usually applicable for Mobile Data where the volume of data is generally limited, today we will set your Ethernet Connection as Metered in Windows 10.
What happens in Metered Connection in Windows 10
When set as metered, Windows restricts any form of additional downloads. That includes Windows update, Auto update for apps, and even sharing of update files on the internet.
How to set Ethernet Connection as Metered in Windows 10
So to avoid this situation, you can set your internet connection as metered and control the data usage in your Windows 10 PC. To establish your Ethernet connection as metered, first, you should be signed in as an administrator in your Windows 10 PC. Then you can follow the steps shown below to set your Ethernet connection as metered or non-metered.
- Set Ethernet connection as metered via Registry
- Set Ethernet connection as metered via Windows Settings
1] Set Ethernet connection as metered via Registry
- Press the Windows button + R keys to open Run, type Regedit, and press Enter to open Registry Editor.+
- Navigate to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost
- Right-Click on the DefaultMediaCost and select Permissions.
- Click on the Advanced option which you will find in Security Tab.
- Click on the Change link which you will find in the Advanced security settings tab.
- After this, you will Select User or Group tab, and type Administrator and click on Check Names. It is to make sure that you are on the right path. Click OK after you do this.
- On the Advanced Security Settings for DefaultMediaCost, check the “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.” Click Apply and OK after you check the box.
- Now you will enter into Permissions for DefaultMediaCost tab, select the Administrators group, and then make sure to check the Full Control box — Click Apply and OK after you do this.
- On the DefaultMediaCost key, you’ll find different entries, including for 3G, 4G, Default, Ethernet, and Wi-Fi with their default data values: 1 or 2. The data value 1 means that the connection type is non-metered, and the data value of 2 means that the connection type is metered. Double-click the Ethernet DWORD (32-bit) Value key, and change the value to 2.
- Click OK and close the Registry and Restart your PC to end the process and now your internet connection is set as metered.
The registry setting will change Ethernet Connection as Metered in Windows 10. Use this only when you are on limited connection or using a SIM in your laptop where data is limited.
2] Set Ethernet connection as metered via Windows Settings
- Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Network
- Scroll to find Metered Connection
- Turn on the toggle which says Set as Metered connection
If you only want to set Data Limit, click on the link which says—Set a data limit to help control data usage on this network. It will take you to Data Limit settings. Click on the Data Limit button. Here you can choose how many MB/GB of data the computer can use.
These tips will make sure that you save a lot of data if you are on a limited ethernet connection.