A couple of months ago, Skype rolled out an awesome feature, for testing only, which allowed one to get real-time translation over voice chat. This feature right now only works for set of languages which include English, Spanish, Italian and Mandarin. This feature is open for masses, and you don’t really need a signup to test it.
How does it work?
- You can call almost anyone who has Skype*.
- Your conversation is translated into another language in near real-time.
- What someone else says is translated back in your language.
- An on-screen transcript of your call is displayed.
- And you can send instant messages across 50 languages – from Arabic to Yucatec Maya.
This program has been tested since December, and with excellent feedback from all the early adopters, it has been improved by a large margin. Microsoft stats that
One of the early adopters we would like to highlight is Pro Mujer. Pro Mujer is a non-profit development organization based in New York City dedicated to providing women in Latin America with vital financial, health, and human development services that are typically out of reach, but essential in helping women become financially independent, healthy, and leaders in their communities.
We are very proud of Pro Mujer’s mission, and we’re delighted they’re finding value in using Skype generally, and Skype Translator to make an impact in so many people’s lives.
You will have to download a different version of Skype and is only available on Windows right now and works on Windows 8 or Windows 10 Preview PC. Download Now