The sleep issue which gave Microsoft Surface Team a lot of sleepless nights seems to have got fixed. Microsoft is rolling out a firmware update to Surface Pro 4, and Book which has finally fixed it. To check if you have the update, head over to Settings > Update & Security > Check for Updates. You should see a hardware update aka FIRMWARE.
Below is the change log that you would can expect:
- System Hardware Update – 2/17/2016
- Microsoft driver update for Surface UEFI
- Microsoft driver update for Surface Management Engine
- Microsoft driver update for Surface System Aggregator Firmware
- Surface Management Engine update (v188.8.131.522) improves system stability.
- Surface System Aggregator Firmware update (v88.1081.257.0) improves accuracy of battery status and battery life during sleep.
- Surface UEFI update (v104.1085.768.0) improves battery life and improves stability during power state transition changes into and out of sleep states.
- Intel® Precise Touch Device driver update (v184.108.40.206) improves stability during power state transition changes into and out of sleep states.
- Intel® HD Graphics 520 driver update (v220.127.116.1164) improves display stability, system stability and battery life.
- Intel® Display Audio driver update (v18.104.22.1685) supports compatibility with the updated graphics driver.
- Realtek High Definition Audio(SST) driver update (v22.214.171.12434) improves system stability.
- Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST) Audio Controller driver update (v126.96.36.1996) improves system stability.
- Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST) OED driver update (v188.8.131.526) improves system stability.
- Intel® Management Engine Interface driver update (v184.108.40.2066) improves system stability.
- Intel® Serial IO GPIO Host Controller driver update (v30.63.1603.5) improves auto rotation reliability when tablet mode is turned off.
- Intel® Serial IO I2C Host Controller driver update (v30.63.1603.5) improves auto rotation reliability when tablet mode is turned off.
- Surface Book Base Firmware driver update (v220.127.116.11) improves battery life during sleep.
Like you can see, the update is mostly about fixing the power state of the devices including fixes for Audio. If you have noticed a lot of battery drain during sleep, this will fix that as well. Microsoft’s Panos Panay, the mind behind the latest generation of Surface devices, said
Today’s updates include a set of Microsoft and Intel driver and firmware updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 that will help you get the most of the power management options that Surface is designed to offer and continue to make your Surface more productive. We love our Surface customers. You are our early adopters and our fans and you keep inspiring us with what you are able to do with Surface. You keep pushing us to make Surface even better.
We are committed to continuing to improve Surface – to keep pushing out updates to make your device more awesome. And to continue to help all our customers realize the full benefits of the latest silicon and Windows 10. With that in mind, one of the most important steps you can take is to ensure your Surface is up-to-date with the fixes we post on Windows Update. We’ll continue to listen to your feedback and to communicate as updates and fixes become available. If you have any additional support questions, please visit our main support page. We are pumped that many of you love your Surfaces, keep the feedback coming.”