Xbox Controller, just like Xbox, can receive updates, and in this post, we will share how you can update an Xbox One controller in multiple ways. You can do it through the console, or via Windows 10 computer or Update wirelessly if the controller supports it.
How to Update an Xbox Controller on Windows 10 and Xbox One
Choose the right method, depending on the type of controller.
- Update using USB Cable
- Update on Computer or Windows 10 PC
- Perform a wireless update
Before you begin, make sure you have a stable internet connection. If yes, connect to Xbox Live.
1] Update Xbox Controller using USB Cable
- Connect the controller to your Xbox One using any USB cable. If you have a chat headset or any headset, connect it with the controller.
- Now Press the Menu and go to Settings > Devices & accessories.
- Select the controller and then select Update to download the new firmware to the controller.
- You will see a progress screen during this process.
- If you have any other controller, you can swap the controller right now and choose to update another.
- Once the update is complete, go back to the screen where you selected the controller and select the same controller to see the updated version no.
Here is a quick video:
2] Update on Computer or Windows 10 PC
If you use the Xbox controller on Windows 10 PC, you can use the Xbox Accessories app to update it.
- First, make sure you have the accessory app installed on the computer.
- Launch it and then connect your Xbox One Wireless Controller by using a USB cable or the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows.
- When the controller is connected, you’ll see the message Update Required.
- Install the update.
3] Perform a wireless update for Xbox Controller
It applies to controllers that come with the stereo headset adapter.
- Plug it into the bottom of your controller.
- Plug in a headset, which will turn on the adapter.
- On the Xbox go to System > Settings > Devices & streaming > Accessories,
- Select the controller you want to update.
- Select Device info, select the Firmware version box and then select Continue.
Note: The auto-detect feature of this update may not work immediately if you plugged your stereo headset adapter into the controller while downloading a system update, or while the console was turned off. Make sure to connect it only when you are about to update the controller.
Let us know how your controller is performing after this update. Is it better?