Finally, after a very long wait, VLC Team has finally announced Universal App for Windows 10 which will work on Xbox One, Mobile, PC and even on HoloLens. The public beta for Windows 10 Mobile will be released next week, followed by the official launch in early May. The only daunting part is that its going to be for devices running Redstone build.
- Threshold 2 : The old generation devices which were upgraded from Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows 10 Mobile. You all are on 10586 build.
- Redstore : Devices which shipped with Windows 10 Mobile.
Looking at those images, its pretty clear that VLC team now has proper direction set. The UI perfectly matches the Windows 10 style, the app supports dark and light theme, drag, drop and so on. The developers also made sure that the app can be used with Cortana and Continuum. This way if you have a move on your phone, and you want to see it on big screen, you won’t miss out.
- Continuum support.
- Basic Continuum scenarios : docking
- Hybrid scenarios : control VLC running on your XBOX from your W10 mobile phone.
- Cortana (experimental)
- Search in the library
- Control the playback
- Playlist creation
The app as of now doesn’t support DLNA which will make it tough for those who are involved in projecting or streaming videos to bigger screen. The team is still working on a fix, and till then snap and watch!
Windows 10 Mobile:
- Public Beta : Next week ! And this week for VIPs (¬‿¬)
- Official release : Early may
- Closed beta : Early may (no public beta)
- Official release : Around mid may
- Build from source: Check out our repo and try it yourself on your Xbox One starting next week. It’s still far from perfect but we have several pieces of code not merged yet in the master branch.
- Official release : This summer, when developers will be able to publish UWP apps on Xbox.