Privacy is one thing that keeps haunting any big company which is in the consumer business. Microsoft is no exception, and they had heavily before, especially in Europe. Today, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 is getting a dedicated Privacy Dashboard in the next major upgrade of Windows 10 which will give any consumer a clear idea of what Microsoft is collecting the data.
To kick off the new year ahead of Data Privacy Day we are giving our Windows Insiders an early preview of the Windows Diagnostic Data Viewer coming in our next release of Windows. Our commitment is to be fully transparent on the diagnostic data collected from your Windows devices, how it is used, and to provide you with increased control over that data. This is all part of our commitment to increase your trust and confidence in our products and services.
Microsoft Privacy Dashboard will also let you see and manage more data associated with a Microsoft account. It includes
- Common Data, like the Operating System’s name, the Version, Device ID, Device Class, Diagnostic level selection and so on.
- Device Connectivity and Configuration such as device properties and capabilities, preferences and settings, peripherals, and device network information.
- Product and Service Performance data that show device health, performance and reliability data, movie consumption functionality on the device and device file queries. It’s important to note that this functionality is not intended to capture user viewing or, listening habits.
- Product and Service Usage data includes details about the usage of the device, operating system, applications, and services.
- Software Setup and Inventory such as installed applications and install history, device update information.
You will be able to clearly see the data that is saved with your Microsoft account. It will allow you to manage your data and change what data is collected by adjusting the privacy settings on your device or browser at any time.t
Apart from these, Microsoft is also working to bring the following features:
- View and manage media consumption data, as well as product and service activity on the Activity History page
- Export for any of the data you see on the dashboard
- Delete specific items to allow for greater individual control